Tomes J, De Morgan CG. IV. Observations on the structure and development of bone. Philos Trans R Soc Lond. 1853;143:109–39.
• Bonewald LF. The amazing osteocyte. J Bone Miner Res. 2011;26(2):229–38 Still an excellent starting point to learn about the biology and function of osteocytes
• Schaffler MB, Cheung WY, Majeska R, Kennedy O. Osteocytes: Master orchestrators of bone. Calcif Tissue Int. 2014;94(1):5–24 Provides an excellent overview over osteocytes’ role in mechanotransduction
Bonewald LF. Osteocytes as dynamic multifunctional cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1116:281–90.
Hamrick MW. Leptin, bone mass, and the thrifty phenotype. J Bone Miner Res. 2004;19(10):1607–11.
Fruehauf HO. The five organ networks of Chinese medicine. Portland: National College of Naturopathic Medicine; 1997.
Moester M, Papapoulos S, Löwik C, Van Bezooijen R. Sclerostin: current knowledge and future perspectives. Calcif Tissue Int. 2010;87(2):99–107.
Jacobs CR, Temiyasathit S, Castillo AB. Osteocyte mechanobiology and pericellular mechanics. Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2010;12:369–400.
• Buenzli PR, Sims NA. Quantifying the osteocyte network in the human skeleton. Bone. 2015;75:144–50 Review that provides a lot of useful values characterizing the lacunocanalicular network
Cardoso L, Fritton SP, Gailani G, Benalla M, Cowin SC. Advances in assessment of bone porosity, permeability and interstitial fluid flow. J Biomech. 2013;46(2):253–65.
• Schneider P, Meier M, Wepf R, Muller R. Towards quantitative 3D imaging of the osteocyte lacuno-canalicular network. Bone. 2010;47(5):848–58 Introduces with FIB/SEM an important new 3D imaging technique to study the LCN
Repp F, Kollmannsberger P, Roschger A, Berzlanovich A, Gruber GM, Roschger P, et al. Coalignment of osteocyte canaliculi and collagen fibers in human osteonal bone. J Struct Biol. 2017;199(3):177–86.
Reznikov N, Shahar R, Weiner S. Three-dimensional structure of human lamellar bone: the presence of two different materials and new insights into the hierarchical organization. Bone. 2014;59:93–104.
• Hesse B, Varga P, Langer M, Pacureanu A, Schrof S, Mannicke N, et al. Canalicular network morphology is the major determinant of the spatial distribution of mass density in human bone tissue: evidence by means of synchrotron radiation phase-contrast nano-CT. J Bone Miner Res. 2015;30(2):346–56 State-of-the-art synchrotron tomography shows increased mineral content around canaliculi
• Kerschnitzki M, Wagermaier W, Roschger P, Seto J, Shahar R, Duda GN, et al. The organization of the osteocyte network mirrors the extracellular matrix orientation in bone. J Struct Biol. 2011;173(2):303–11 The study shows the interaction between LCN architecture and the surrounding bone matrix
Belanger LF. Osteocytic osteolysis. Calcif Tissue Res. 1969;4(1):1-&.
Tsourdi E, Jähn K, Rauner M, Busse B, Bonewald LF. Physiological and pathological osteocytic osteolysis. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2018;18(3):292–303.
Kerschnitzki M, Kollmannsberger P, Burghammer M, Duda GN, Weinkamer R, Wagermaier W, et al. Architecture of the osteocyte network correlates with bone material quality. J Bone Miner Res. 2013;28(8):1837–45.
• Repp F, Kollmannsberger P, Roschger A, Kerschnitzki M, Berzlanovich A, Gruber G, et al. Spatial heterogeneity in the canalicular density of the osteocyte network in human osteons. Bone Rep. 2017;6:101–8 Provides reference values for the LCN properties in healthy osteonal bone
Nango N, Kubota S, Hasegawa T, Yashiro W, Momose A, Matsuo K. Osteocyte-directed bone demineralization along canaliculi. Bone. 2016;84:279–88.
Burger EH, Klein-Nulend J. Mechanotransduction in bone—role of the lacuno-canalicular network. FASEB J. 1999;13(9001):S101–S12.
Cowin SC, Moss ML. Mechanosensory mechanisms in bone. In: Cowin SC, editor. Bone mechanics handbook. 2nd ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2001.
Thi MM, Suadicani SO, Schaffler MB, Weinbaum S, Spray DC. Mechanosensory responses of osteocytes to physiological forces occur along processes and not cell body and require αVβ3 integrin. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2013;110(52):21012–7.
Verbruggen SW, Vaughan TJ, McNamara LM. Fluid flow in the osteocyte mechanical environment: a fluid–structure interaction approach. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2014;13(1):85–97.
Wang YL, McNamara LM, Schaffler MB, Weinbaum S. A model for the role of integrins in flow induced mechanotransduction in osteocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104(40):15941–6.
• Turner C, Robling A, Duncan R, Burr D. Do bone cells behave like a neuronal network? Calcif Tissue Int. 2002;70(6):435–42 Early but still interesting work that discusses experimental evidence for memory-like mechanisms in the osteocyte network.
•• Meinertzhagen IA. Of what use is connectomics? A personal perspective on the Drosophila connectome. J Exp Biol. 2018;221(10):jeb164954 Nice overview article on the history, current state, and future perspective of connectomics in the
brain from one of the pioneers in the field.
Helmstaedter MJ. Connectomics at cellular precision. e-Neuroforum. 2016;22(3):45–7.
Oh SW, Harris JA, Ng L, Winslow B, Cain N, Mihalas S, et al. A mesoscale connectome of the mouse brain. Nature. 2014;508(7495):207.
Hildebrand DGC, Cicconet M, Torres RM, Choi W, Quan TM, Moon J, et al. Whole-brain serial-section electron microscopy in larval zebrafish. Nature. 2017;545(7654):345.
• Eichler K, Li F, Litwin-Kumar A, Park Y, Andrade I, Schneider-Mizell CM, et al. The complete connectome of a learning and memory centre in an insect brain. Nature. 2017;548(7666):175 The first complete wiring diagram of a higher-order circuit at synaptic resolution, the
mushroom body, obtained by a large collaboration over many years.
• Yan G, Vértes PE, Towlson EK, Chew YL, Walker DS, Schafer WR, et al. Network control principles predict neuron function in the Caenorhabditis elegans connectome. Nature. 2017;550(7677):519–23 Example of how connectomics can be applied to predict neuronal function for locomotion in
worms using control theory.
Bezares-Calderon LA, Berger J, Jasek S, Veraszto C, Mendes S, Guehmann M, et al. Neural circuitry of a polycystin-mediated hydrodynamic startle response for predator avoidance. eLife. 2018;7:e36262.
Svara FN, Kornfeld J, Denk W, Bollmann JH. Volume EM reconstruction of spinal cord reveals wiring specificity in speed-related motor circuits. Cell Rep. 2018;23(10):2942–54.
Wanner AA, Genoud C, Masudi T, Siksou L, Friedrich RW. Dense EM-based reconstruction of the interglomerular projectome in the zebrafish olfactory bulb. Nat Neurosci. 2016;19(6):816–25.
Scheffer LK. Analysis tools for large connectomes. Front Neural Circuits. 2018;12.
Fenno L, Yizhar O, Deisseroth K. The development and application of optogenetics. Annu Rev Neurosci. 2011;34:389–412.
• Webster DJ, Schneider P, Dallas SL, Müller R. Studying osteocytes within their environment. Bone. 2013;54(2):285–95 Clear review about imaging techniques of the osteocyte and lacunocanalicular network.
Okada S, Yoshida S, Ashrafi SH, Schraufnagel DE. The canalicular structure of compact bone in the rat at different ages. Microsc Microanal. 2002;8(2):104–15.
Lin Y, Xu S. AFM analysis of the lacunar-canalicular network in demineralized compact bone. J Microsc. 2011;241(3):291–302.
Dong P, Haupert S, Hesse B, Langer M, Gouttenoire PJ, Bousson V, et al. 3D osteocyte lacunar morphometric properties and distributions in human femoral cortical bone using synchrotron radiation micro-CT images. Bone. 2014;60:172–85.
Kamioka H, Murshid SA, Ishihara Y, Kajimura N, Hasegawa T, Ando R, et al. A method for observing silver-stained osteocytes in situ in 3-μm sections using ultra-high voltage electron microscopy tomography. Microsc Microanal. 2009;15(5):377–83.
Langer M, Peyrin F. 3D X-ray ultra-microscopy of bone tissue. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27(2):441–55.
Goggin P, Zygalakis K, Oreffo R, Schneider P. High-resolution 3D imaging of osteocytes and computational modelling in mechanobiology: insights on bone development, ageing, health and disease. Eur Cell Mater. 2016;31:264–95.
Varga P, Hesse B, Langer M, Schrof S, Mannicke N, Suhonen H, et al. Synchrotron X-ray phase nano-tomography-based analysis of the lacunar-canalicular network morphology and its relation to the strains experienced by osteocytes in situ as predicted by case-specific finite element analysis. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2015;14(2):267–82.
Ciani A, Toumi H, Pallu S, Tsai EH, Diaz A, Guizar-Sicairos M, et al. Ptychographic X-ray CT characterization of the osteocyte lacuno-canalicular network in a male rat’s glucocorticoid induced osteoporosis model. Bone Rep. 2018;9:122–31.
Schneider P, Meier M, Wepf R, Muller R. Serial FIB/SEM imaging for quantitative 3D assessment of the osteocyte lacuno-canalicular network. Bone. 2011;49(2):304–11.
• Kamel-ElSayed SA, Tiede-Lewis LM, Lu Y, Veno PA, Dallas SL. Novel approaches for two and three dimensional multiplexed imaging of osteocytes. Bone. 2015;76:129–40 Important technical paper that shows possibilities to study the interplay between the LCN and ON by imaging both in the same bone sample.
• Genthial R, Beaurepaire E, Schanne-Klein M-C, Peyrin F, Farlay D, Olivier C, et al. Label-free imaging of bone multiscale porosity and interfaces using third-harmonic generation microscopy. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1):3419 Demonstrates how nonlinear optics can be used to image the LCN without labeling
Tokarz D, Cisek R, Wein MN, Turcotte R, Haase C, S-CA Y, et al. Intravital imaging of osteocytes in mouse calvaria using third harmonic generation microscopy. PLoS One. 2017;12(10):e0186846.
Wu P-C, Shen Y-F, Sun C-K, Lin CP, Liu T-M. Harmonic generation microscopy of bone microenvironment in vivo. Opt Commun. 2018;422:52–5.
Heveran CM, Rauff A, King KB, Carpenter RD, Ferguson VL. A new open-source tool for measuring 3D osteocyte lacunar geometries from confocal laser scanning microscopy reveals age-related changes to lacunar size and shape in cortical mouse bone. Bone. 2018;110:115–27.
Mader KS, Schneider P, Muller R, Stampanoni M. A quantitative framework for the 3D characterization of the osteocyte lacunar system. Bone. 2013;57(1):142–54.
Cooper DM, Turinsky AL, Sensen CW, Hallgrímsson B. Quantitative 3D analysis of the canal network in cortical bone by micro-computed tomography. Anat Rec B New Anat. 2003;274(1):169–79.
Sharma D, Ciani C, Marin PAR, Levy JD, Doty SB, Fritton SP. Alterations in the osteocyte lacunar–canalicular microenvironment due to estrogen deficiency. Bone. 2012;51(3):488–97.
Ashique A, Hart L, Thomas C, Clement J, Pivonka P, Carter Y, et al. Lacunar-canalicular network in femoral cortical bone is reduced in aged women and is predominantly due to a loss of canalicular porosity. Bone Rep. 2017;7:9–16.
Litjens G, Kooi T, Bejnordi BE, Setio AAA, Ciompi F, Ghafoorian M, et al. A survey on deep learning in medical image analysis. Med Image Anal. 2017;42:60–88.
Acciai L, Soda P, Iannello G. Automated neuron tracing methods: an updated account. Neuroinformatics. 2016;14(4):353–67.
Nunez-Iglesias J, Blanch AJ, Looker O, Dixon MW, Tilley L. A new Python library to analyse skeleton images confirms malaria parasite remodelling of the red blood cell membrane skeleton. PeerJ. 2018;6:e4312.
Kaiser M. A tutorial in connectome analysis: topological and spatial features of brain networks. Neuroimage. 2011;57(3):892–907.
•• Kollmannsberger P, Kerschnitzki M, Repp F, Wagermaier W, Weinkamer R, Fratzl P. The small world of osteocytes: connectomics of the lacuno-canalicular network in bone. New J Phys. 2017;19:073019 Proves the potential of a connectomic approach by analyzing ovine lamellar bone and murine woven bone.
Clauset A, Tucker E, Sainz M. The Colorado index of complex networks. https://iconcolorado.edu/. 2016.
Barthélemy MJPR. Spatial networks. 2011;499(1–3):1-101.
Tate MK, Tami A, Bauer T, Knothe U. Micropathoanatomy of osteoporosis: indications for a cellular basis of bone disease. Adv Osteopor Fract Manage. 2002;2(1):9–14.
Tate MLK, Adamson JR, Tami AE, Bauer TW. The osteocyte. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2004;36(1):1–8.
Lai X, Price C, Modla S, Thompson WR, Caplan J, Kirn-Safran CB, et al. The dependences of osteocyte network on bone compartment, age, and disease. Bone Res. 2015;3:15009.
Mabilleau G, Perrot R, Flatt PR, Irwin N, Chappard D. High fat-fed diabetic mice present with profound alterations of the osteocyte network. Bone. 2016;90:99–106.
Hemmatian H, Bakker AD, Klein-Nulend J, van Lenthe GH. Aging, osteocytes, and mechanotransduction. Current Osteoporos Rep. 2017;15(5):401–11.
Razi H, Birkhold AI, Weinkamer R, Duda GN, Willie BM, Checa S. Aging leads to a dysregulation in mechanically driven bone formation and resorption. J Bone Miner Res. 2015;30(10):1864–73.
•• Tiede-Lewis LM, Xie Y, Hulbert MA, Campos R, Dallas MR, Dusevich V, et al. Degeneration of the osteocyte network in the C57BL/6 mouse model of aging. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9(10):2190–208 An impressive study on the effect of age on both the LCN and ON in mice.
Frost HM. Micropetrosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1960;42(1):144–50.
Sugawara Y, Kamioka H, Ishihara Y, Fujisawa N, Kawanabe N, Yamashiro T. The early mouse 3D osteocyte network in the presence and absence of mechanical loading. Bone. 2013;52(1):189–96.
Masic A, Bertinetti L, Schuetz R, Chang S-W, Metzger TH, Buehler MJ, et al. Osmotic pressure induced tensile forces in tendon collagen. Nat Commun. 2015;6:5942.
Kaiser M. Mechanisms of connectome development. Trends Cogn Sci. 2017;21(9):703–17.
Taylor-King JP, Basanta D, Chapman SJ, Porter MA. Mean-field approach to evolving spatial networks, with an application to osteocyte network formation. Phys Rev E. 2017;96(1):012301.
Gururaja S, Kim H, Swan C, Brand R, Lakes R. Modeling deformation-induced fluid flow in cortical bone’s canalicular–lacunar system. Ann Biomed Eng. 2005;33(1):7–25.
Anderson EJ, Kreuzer SM, Small O, Tate MLK. Pairing computational and scaled physical models to determine permeability as a measure of cellular communication in micro-and nano-scale pericellular spaces. Microfluid Nanofluid. 2008;4(3):193–204.
Mishra S, Tate MLK. Effect of lacunocanalicular architecture on hydraulic conductance in bone tissue: implications for bone health and evolution. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2003;273a(2):752–62.
Veno P, Nicolella D, Sivakumar P, Kalajzic I, Rowe D, Bonewald L et al., editors. Live imaging of osteocytes within their lacunae reveals cell body and dendrite motions. J Bone Miner Res; 2006.