Linear Waves in the Interior of Extremal Black Holes II
- 167 Downloads
We consider solutions to the linear wave equation in the interior region of extremal Kerr black holes. We show that axisymmetric solutions can be extended continuously beyond the Cauchy horizon and, moreover, that if we assume suitably fast polynomial decay in time along the event horizon, their local energy is finite. We also extend these results to non-axisymmetric solutions on slowly rotating extremal Kerr–Newman black holes. These results are the analogues of results obtained in Gajic (Commun Math Phys 353(2), 717–770, 2017) for extremal Reissner–Nordström and stand in stark contrast to previously established results for the subextremal case, where the local energy was shown to generically blow up at the Cauchy horizon.
- 3.Angelopoulos, Y., Aretakis, S., Gajic, D.: Improved decay for solutions to the wave equation on extremal Reissner–Nordström and applications. In preparationGoogle Scholar
- 4.Aretakis, S.: Horizon instability of extremal black holes. Adv. Theor. Math. Phys. 19(3), 507–530 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Aretakis, S.: The wave equation on extreme Reissner–Nordström black hole spacetimes: stability and instability results. arXiv:1006.0283 (2010)
- 14.Christodoulou, D.: The formation of black holes in general relativity. In: EMS Monographs in Mathematics. European Mathematical Society (EMS), Zurich (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Civin, D.: Stability of Charged Rotating Black Holes for Linear Scalar Perturbations. Ph.D. Thesis (2014), https://www.repository.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/247397
- 18.Dafermos, M., Holzegel, G., Rodnianski, I.: A scattering theory construction of dynamical vacuum black holes. arXiv:1306.5364 (2013)
- 20.Franzen, A.: Boundedness of massless scalar waves on Kerr interior backgrounds. In preparationGoogle Scholar
- 22.Gajic, D.: Double-null foliations of Kerr–Newman. In preparation (2015)Google Scholar
- 25.Hintz, P.: Boundedness and decay of scalar waves at the Cauchy horizon of the Kerr spacetime. arXiv:1512.08003 (2015)
- 26.Klainerman, S.: Brief history of the vector-field method. Special Lecture in Honour of F. John’s 100th Anniversary (November 2010). https://web.math.princeton.edu/~seri/homepage/papers/John2010.pdf
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.