Effect of active fraction isolated from the leaf extract of Dregea volubilis [Linn.] Benth. on plasma glucose concentration and lipid profile in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats
- Venkatesan NatarajanAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacy, Annamalai University Email author
- , Anton Smith Arul Gnana DhasAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacy, Annamalai University
The objective of the present study was to evaluate the effect of active fraction from Dregea volubilis [Linn.] Benth leaves on serum glucose and lipid profile in normal and diabetic rats.
Materials and methods
Diabetes was induced by streptozotocin in wistar rats. Petroleum ether, ethyl acetate, and ethanol extracts of Dregea volubilis [Linn.] Benth leaves were administered orally at a dose of 200 mg/kg, p.o. Metformin was used as standard Anti-diabetic drug (50 mg/kg, p.o). The extract showing for higher Anti-diabetic activity was subjected to column chromatography that led to isolation of an active fraction, which was given trivial name Dv-1. Dv-1 (100 mg/kg, p.o.) was studied for its hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic potential.
Ethanol extract was found to lower the Fasting blood glucose (FBG) level significantly (p < 0.05) in diabetic rats. Dv-1 caused a significant (p < 0.05) reduction in FBG level. Additionally it also caused reduction in cholesterol, triglyceride levels and improvement in the HDL level in diabetic rats.
Reduction in the FBG, cholesterol, triglyceride levels and improvement in the HDL by Dv-1 indicates that Dv-1 has Anti-diabetic activity along with anti hyperlipidemic efficacy and provides a scientific rationale for the use as an Anti-diabetic agent.
KeywordsBlood glucose Hexadecenoic acid Dregea volubilis [Linn.] Benth Lipid profile
- Effect of active fraction isolated from the leaf extract of Dregea volubilis [Linn.] Benth. on plasma glucose concentration and lipid profile in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
- Online Date
- August 2013
- Online ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Additional Links
- Blood glucose
- Hexadecenoic acid
- Dregea volubilis [Linn.] Benth
- Lipid profile