Current status of freshwater prawn culture in Vietnam and the development and transfer of seed production technology
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In Vietnam, the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii is becoming an increasingly important targeted species, as its culture, especially in rice fields, is considered to have the potential to raise income among improverished farmers. The production of M. rosenbergii based on aquaculture reached over 10 000 tons per year in 2002, having increased from about 2500 tons since the 1990s. Until recently, lack of a stable supply of seed had been an important obstacle to the further expansion and development of M. rosenbergii culture, but cumulative research on larval rearing, especially in the 1990s, has led to the development of new seed production technology based on the ‘modified stagnant green water system’. Following its disse mination by the efforts of provincial authorities, hatchery operators, and farmers, the freshwater prawn seed production industry developed rapidly in the Mekong Delta with over 90 hatcheries producing 76.5 million postlarvae in 2003. This is considered to have affected the expansion of rice-prawn farming in the Mekong Delta, leading to increased aquacultural production in the region. This paper reviews the current status of freshwater prawn culture in Vietnam and background history, and presents a socioeconomic evaluation of seed production technology implementation.
- Aquaculture Achievements in 2002 and Implementation Plan for 2003. Government of Vietnam Ministry of Fisheries, Hanoi
- Aquaculture Achievements in 2004 and Implementation Plan for 2005. Government of Vietnam Ministry of Fisheries, Hanoi
- Tiep, NN (2004) Quality and solutions for sustainable development of catfish production. Government of Vietnam Ministry of Fisheries, Long Xuyen
- Mieng, TT (2004) Issues on planning and management for catfish production to the year 2010. Government of Vietnam Ministry of Fisheries, Long Xuyen
- Hanh, DD (2005) Continuous growth of the Vietnamese fisheries sector in 2004. Fish. Mag. 1: pp. 3-5
- Approval of Aquaculture Development Plan Period from 1999–2010, Decree no. 224/1999/QD-TTg. Government of Vietnam, Hanoi
- Restructuring of Agricultural Production and Its Products Consumption, Decree no. 09/2000/NQ-CP. Government of Vietnam, Hanoi
- Thang, NV (1995) Giant Freshwater Prawn Farming. Agricultural Publishing House, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hien, TTT, Minh, TH, Phuong, NT, Wilder, MN (1998) Current status of freshwater prawn culture in the Mekong River Delta of Vietnam. JIRCAS J. 6: pp. 89-100
- Ang, KJ, Cheah, SH Juvenile production of the Malaysian giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii de Man) using modified stagnant ‘green water’ system. In: Chan, HH eds. (1987) Development and Management of Tropical Living Aquatic Resources. Universiti Pertanian Malaysia, Malaysia, pp. 141-144
- New, MB, Valenti, WC (2000) Freshwater Prawn Farming: The Farming of Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Blackwell Science, Oxford
- FAO, World production of fish, crustaceans and mollusks, etc., by principal species. FAO Fisheries Department Statistical Databases and Software, Yearbook of Fisheries Statistics; Summary Tables. 2002. Available from URL: http:// www.fao.org/
- Phuong NT, Duc PM, Son VN, Bui TV, Nguyet ATA. Application of high technologies for quality improvement of catfish, tilapia and giant freshwater prawn products and reduction of their production costs. Report submitted to An Giang Department of Science and Technology, Long Xuyen, 2004 (in Vietnamese).
- New, MB (2002) Farming Freshwater Prawns: A Manual for the Culture of Giant Freshwater Prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome
- Phuong, NT, Tuan, NA, Hien, TTT, Hai, TN, Wilder, MN, Ogata, HY, Sano, M, Maeno, Y (2003) Development of freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) seed production and culture technology in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam: a review of the JIRCAS project at Cantho University. JIRCAS Working Report 26: pp. 39-47
- Wilder, MN, Fukuda, Y (2002) Development of freshwater prawn seed production technology in the Mekong Delta region of Vietnam. Yoshoku (Aquaculture Monthly) 39: pp. 98-101
- Hien, TTT, Hai, TN, Phuong, NT, Ogata, HY, Wilder, MN (2005) The effects of dietary lipid sources and lecithin on the production of giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) larvae in the Mekong Delta region of Vietnam. Fish. Sci. 71: pp. 279-286 CrossRef
- Phuong, NT, Hai, TN, Hien, TTT, Wilder, MN (2003) Giant Freshwater Prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) Seed Production: Principles and Practices. Agricultural Publishing House, Hanoi
- Thang, NV (1993) Studies on biological characteristics and seed production of giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosen bergii) in the southern part of Vietnam. Fisheries University, Nha Trang
- Tinh NV. Status of prawn seed production of the Vung Tau Prawn Research Center during the past few years. Conference on Development of Giant Freshwater Prawn Production in the Southern Part of Vietnam, An Giang Province, May 29, Long Xuyen, 1999 (in Vietnamese).
- Hung NQ, Phuc TT. Report of the giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) technology transfer project for some provinces of the southern part of Vietnam. Conference on Development of Giant Freshwater Prawn Production in the Southern Part of Vietnam, An Giang Province, May 29, Long Xuyen, 1999 (in Vietnamese).
- Yen, PT (1999) Macrobrachium Rosenbergii seed production in Vietnam: an examination of the performance of broodstock and larvae from sources in Thailand and Vietnam. Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok
- Phuc TT, Hung NQ, Thanh V, Van NTK, Quyen L, Nhut N, Lich HT, Thao NTT. Technical improvement and production cost reduction for giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) seed production in the Mekong River Delta, Report submitted to Ministry of Fisheries, Vietnam, Hanoi. 2001 (in Vietnamese).
- Phuong NT, Hai TN, Hien TTT, Oanh DTH, Yen NLH, Viet TV. Transfer of giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) seed production technology. Report submitted to the National Fisheries Extension Center, Hanoi. 2003 (in Vietnamese).
- Phuong NT, Hien TTT, Hai TN, Liem PT, Yen NLH, Viet HV, Bui TV, Hang BTB. Studies to complete the technical package of giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) seed production using the modified stagnant green water system. Report submitted to the SUFA project, Hanoi. 2002 (in Vietnamese).
- Current status of freshwater prawn culture in Vietnam and the development and transfer of seed production technology
Volume 72, Issue 1 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- freshwater prawns
- green water
- Mekong Delta
- rice-prawn farming
- seed production
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Aquaculture and Fisheries, Cantho University, Can Tho City, Vietnam
- 2. Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences, 305-8686, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan