3D-Object Space Reconstruction from Planar Recorded Data of 3D-Integral Images
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper presents a novel algorithm for object space reconstruction from the planar (2D) recorded data set of a 3D-integral image. The integral imaging system is described and the associated point spread function is given. The space data extraction is formulated as an inverse problem, which proves ill-conditioned, and tackled by imposing additional conditions to the sought solution. An adaptive constrained 3D-reconstruction regularization algorithm based on the use of a sigmoid function is presented. A hierarchical multiresolution strategy which employes the adaptive constrained algorithm to obtain highly accurate intensity maps of the object space is described. The depth map of the object space is extracted from the intensity map using a weighted Durbin–Willshaw algorithm. Finally, illustrative simulation results are given.
- G. Lippmann, “La Photographie Integrale. Comtes Rendus, Academie des Sciences,” vol. 146, 1908, pp. 446–451.
- T. Okoshi, Three Dimensional Imaging Techniques. Academic Press, 1976.
- N. Davies and M. McCormick, “Holoscopic Imaging with True 3D-Content in Full Natural Colour,” J. Phot. Science, vol. 40, 1992, pp. 46–49.
- N. Davies, M. McCormick, and M. Brewin, “Design and Analysis of an Image Transfer System Using Microlens Arrays,” Opt. Eng., vol. 33, no. 11, 1994, pp. 3624–3633.
- S. Manolache, A. Aggoun, M. McCormick, and N. Davies, “A Mathematical Model of a 3D-Lenticular Integral Recording System,” in Proceedings of IEEE Vision, Modeling and Visualization, Erlangen, 1999, pp. 51–58.
- M. Bertero and P. Boccacci, Introduction to Inverse Problems in Imaging. Institute of Physics Publishing, 1998.
- A.N. Tikhonov, “Solution of Incorrectly Formulated Problems and the Regularization Method,” Soviet Math. Dokl., vol. 4, 1963, pp. 1035–1038.
- J.M. Ortega and W.C. Rheinboldt, Iterative Solutions of Nonlinear Equations in Several Variables. Academic Press, 1970.
- R. Durbin and D.J. Willshaw, “An Analogue Approach to the Travelling Salesman Problem Using an Elastic Net Method,” Nature, vol. 326, no. 16, 1987, p. 689.
- S.Y. Kung, Digital Neural Networks, Prentice-Hall, 1993.
- 3D-Object Space Reconstruction from Planar Recorded Data of 3D-Integral Images
Journal of VLSI signal processing systems for signal, image and video technology
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 5-18
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- integral imaging
- object space reconstruction
- inverse problems
- regularization methods
- gradient descent
- Durbin–Willshaw scheme
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, 08540, USA
- 2. Department of Engineering and Technology, De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester, LE1 9BH, UK