About this book
This book explores the emerging concept of cultural DNA, considering its application across different fields and examining commonalities in approach. It approaches the subject from four different perspectives, in which the topics include theories, analysis and synthesis of cultural DNA artefacts.
After an opening section which reviews theoretical work on cultural DNA research, the second section discusses analysis & synthesis of cultural DNA at the urban scale. Section three covers analysis & synthesis of cultural DNA artefacts, and the final section offers approaches to grammar-based cultural DNA research.
The book places emphasis on two specific axes: one is the scale of the object under discussion, which ranges from the small (handheld artefacts) to the very large (cities); and the other is the methodology used from analysis to synthesis. This diverse approach with detailed information about grammar-based methodologies toward cultural DNA makes the book unique.
This book will serve as a source of inspiration for designers and researchers trying to find the essence, archetype, and the building blocks of our environment for the incorporation of social and cultural factors into their designs.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-8189-7
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Computer Science
- Print ISBN 978-981-10-8188-0
- Online ISBN 978-981-10-8189-7
- Series Print ISSN 2214-2541
- Series Online ISSN 2214-255X
- Buy this book on publisher's site