About this book
Perioperative Addiction addresses an issue that every anesthesiologist will encounter many times during the course of his or her career: the patient who arrives for operative care under the influence of legal or illegal drugs. The editors and contributors provide expert guidance on how to identify and manage the addicted patient, approaching the subject from the vantage points of the specific drug and of special patient populations.
· Guidance for spotting and managing addicted patients
· All common and important drugs of addiction, from opioids, cocaine, club drugs, and alcohol, to tobacco, marijuana, nitrous oxide, inhalants, and propofol
· Special populations, including pregnant women, pain patients, adolescents, older patients, and healthcare professionals
· Fascinating overview of the long history of addiction
· Genetic basis of addiction, and the range of pharmacological treatments for addiction