Table of contents
About this book
This handbook fills major gaps in the child and adolescent mental health literature by focusing on the unique challenges and resiliencies of African American youth. It combines a cultural perspective on the needs of the population with best-practice approaches to interventions. Chapters provide expert insights into sociocultural factors that influence mental health, the prevalence of particular disorders among African American adolescents, ethnically salient assessment and diagnostic methods, and the evidence base for specific models. The information presented in this handbook helps bring the field closer to critical goals: increasing access to treatment, preventing misdiagnosis and over hospitalization, and reducing and ending disparities in research and care.
Topics featured in this book include:
- The epidemiology of mental disorders in African American youth.
- Culturally relevant diagnosis and assessment of mental illness.
- Uses of dialectical behavioral therapy and interpersonal therapy.
- Community approaches to promoting positive mental health and psychosocial well-being.
- Culturally relevant psychopharmacology.
- Future directions for the field.
The Handbook of Mental Health in African American Youth is a must-have resource for researchers, professors, and graduate students as well as clinicians and related professionals in child and school psychology, public health, family studies, child and adolescent psychiatry, family medicine, and social work.
ADHD in African American youth Adolescent depression in African Americans Adolescent mood disorders in African Americans African American adolescents and mental health African American youth mental health African-American children and mental illness
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-25501-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-25499-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-25501-9
- Buy this book on publisher's site