About this book
While virtual reality (VR) has influenced fields as varied as gaming, archaeology, and the visual arts, some of its most promising applications come from the health sector. Particularly encouraging are the many uses of VR in supporting the recovery of motor skills following accident or illness.
Virtual Reality for Physical and Motor Rehabilitation reviews two decades of progress and anticipates advances to come. It offers current research on the capacity of VR to evaluate, address, and reduce motor skill limitations, and the use of VR to support motor and sensorimotor function, from the most basic to the most sophisticated skill levels. Expert scientists and clinicians explain how the brain organizes motor behavior, relate therapeutic objectives to client goals, and differentiate among VR platforms in engaging the production of movement and balance. On the practical side, contributors demonstrate that VR complements existing therapies across various conditions such as neurodegenerative diseases, traumatic brain injury, and stroke. Included among the topics:
- Neuroplasticity and virtual reality.
- Vision and perception in virtual reality.
- Sensorimotor recalibration in virtual environments.
- Rehabilitative applications using VR for residual impairments following stroke.
- VR reveals mechanisms of balance and locomotor impairments.
- Applications of VR technologies for childhood disabilities.
A resource of great immediate and future utility, Virtual Reality for Physical and Motor Rehabilitation distills a dynamic field to aid the work of neuropsychologists, rehabilitation specialists (including physical, speech, vocational, and occupational therapists), and neurologists.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-0968-1
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-0967-4
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-0968-1
- Series Print ISSN 2199-4684
- Series Online ISSN 2199-4692
- Buy this book on publisher's site