Accountable care? An analysis of national reporting on local health and social care service integration
This paper analyses how the UK national press has covered local decision-making on options for the integration of health and social care. In England, as part of a major restructuring of health services, the UK government has devolved significant decisions on reorganising services to local areas. This increasing ‘localism’ in healthcare has been a global trend, albeit an uneven one. The article assesses the insights of Amitai Etzioni and others, as applied to national newspaper coverage of local decisions. It finds Etzioni’s analysis to be not fully supported. Following other journalism research on the NHS, we show that contentious points of wider public interest were little reported on, such as international corporate influence and the potential for fragmentation across a national health service.
KeywordsAccountable care organisations Amitai Etzioni Health and social care integration Health journalism Localism NHS
The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their very helpful insights and suggestions.
- Adonis, A. 2014. Mending the Fractured Economy. http://www.policy-network.net/publications_download.aspx?ID=8991. Accessed: 26 May 2015.
- Appleby, J. 2013. Spending on health and social care over the next 50 years. The Kings Fund, London: The King’s Fund.Google Scholar
- Boyd-Barrett, O. 2000. Constructing the global, constructing the local. In The global dynamics of news, ed. A. Malek and A. Kavoori, 299–322. Stamford: Ablex.Google Scholar
- Cameron, D. 2009. A radical shift of power from the centre to local communities. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/feb/17/cameron-decentralisation-local-government. Accessed 26 May 2015.
- Campbell, D. 2017. These little-known opaque bodies could run health services. The Guardian.Google Scholar
- Campbell, D. 2015. Labour pulls ahead of Tories on NHS. The Guardian.Google Scholar
- Campbell, D. 2014. £3.8bn NHS Better Care Fund policy delayed after damning Whitehall review. The Guardian.Google Scholar
- Clifton, J. 2016. Prisons and prevention. http://www.ippr.org/files/publications/pdf/prisons-and-prevention_Jan2016.pdf. Accessed 13 March 2016.
- Cordery, S. 2018. Planning guidance: The NHS moment Health Service Journal. https://www.hsj.co.uk/policy-and-regulation/planning-guidance-the-nhs-moment-/7021630.article. Accessed 10 May 2018.
- Curran, J., J. Petley, and I. Gaber. 2005. Culture wars. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Erens, B., Wistow, G., Mounier-Jack, S., Douglas, N., Jones, L., Manacorda, T. and Mays, N. 2015. Early evaluation of the integrated care and support pioneers programme: Interim report. London: London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.Google Scholar
- Etzioni, A. 1978. News that is both national and local. Columbia Journalism Review 16 (5): 42–43.Google Scholar
- Franklin, B., and D. Murphy. 2005. What news?. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Freelon, D.G. 2010. ReCal: Intercoder reliability calculation as a web service. International Journal of Internet Science 5 (1): 20–33.Google Scholar
- Frontier Economics. 2012. Enablers and barriers to integrated care and implications for Monitor. London: Frontier Economics.Google Scholar
- Glasby, J., and M. Exworthy. 2015. State of the nation: Ten things we’ve learned about the NHS under the coalition. http://theconversation.com/state-of-the-nation-ten-things-weve-learned-about-the-nhs-under-the-coalition-39334. Accessed 26 May 2016.
- Government, H.M. 2011. Localism Act 2011. Commentary. Queen’s Printer of Acts of Parliament, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/20/contents/enacted. Accessed 13 March 2016.
- Ham, C., and N. Walsh. 2013. Making integrated care happen at scale and pace. The Kings Fund, London. http://cdn.basw.co.uk/upload/basw_105641-3.pdf. Accessed 31 August 2014.
- Hansard. 2014. House of Commons Hansard Debates for 22 July 2014 (pt 0001). http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmhansrd/cm140722/halltext/140722h0001.htm#140722h0001.htm_spnew50. Accessed 15 June 2015.
- HoC. 2012. Health and Social Care Act 2012, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/7/contents/enacted. Accessed 24 May 2014.
- Holmes, T. 2005. Creating identities, building communities. In Print journalism, ed. R. Keeble, 160–168. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hudson, M. 2014. Big four audit firms behind global profit shifting, http://www.smh.com.au/business/big-four-audit-firms-behind-global-profit-shifting-20141106-11i08q.html. Accessed 26 May 2015.
- Huitson, O. 2013. How the BBC betrayed the NHS. In NHS SOS, ed. R. Tallis and J. Davis, 154–173. London: Oneworld.Google Scholar
- Iacobucci, G. 2012. CCGs embrace advice from private firms. Pulse Today. http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/commissioning/commissioning-topics/ccgs/ccgs-embrace-advice-from-private-firms/20000642.article. Accessed 26 May 2015.
- Jupp, B. 2015. Reconsidering accountability in an age of integrated care. London: Nuffield Trust.Google Scholar
- Kirby, D. 2015. Welcome to the MHS! That’s the Manchester Health Service., Manchester Evening News. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/welcome-mhs-thats-manchester-health-8720557. Accessed 26 May 2015.
- Knight, M. 2015. Data journalism in the UK. Journal of Media Practice 16 (March): 1–18.Google Scholar
- Lister, J. 2013. Health policy reform. Faringdon: Libri Publishing.Google Scholar
- Lister, J. 2014. First do no harm. Faringdon: Libri Publishing.Google Scholar
- Marcos, J. 2014. Madrid abruptly cancels plans to outsource management at public hospitals., El Pais. http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/01/27/inenglish/1390844787_448815.html. Accessed 26 May 2015.
- Milburn, A. 2014. The NHS is in an era of opportunity as well as challenge, Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/845c9e10-9fe1-11e3-9c65-00144feab7de.html#axzz3bGKCi72n. Accessed 26 May 2015.
- Monitor. 2015. FoI request.Google Scholar
- Monitor and NHS England. 2015. FoI request.Google Scholar
- NHS England. 2014a. Five year forward view NHS. London: NHS.Google Scholar
- NHS England. 2014b. Safe, compassionate care for frail older people using an integrated care pathway. London: NHS.Google Scholar
- NHS England. 2016. New care models. https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/new_care_models.pdf. Accessed 26 June 2017.
- NHS England. n.d. Consultation on contracting arrangements for integrated care providers (ICPs). https://www.engage.england.nhs.uk/consultation/proposed-contracting-arrangements-for-icps. Accessed 7 October 2018.
- Nielsen, R.K. (ed.). 2015. Local Journalism: The decline of newspapers and the rise of digital media. London: I.B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Oliver, D. 2014. Stop wasting taxpayers’ money on management consultancy for the NHS., BMJ 349(December), p. g7243. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g7243. Accessed 26 May 2015.
- Oxfam. 2014. A Dangerous Diversion: Will the IFC‘s flagship health PPP bankrupt Lesotho‘s Ministry of Health? http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/publications/a-dangerous-diversion-will-the-ifcs-flagship-health-ppp-bankrupt-lesothos-minis-315183. Accessed 2 Jan 2015.
- Pike, B. and D. Mongan. 2014. The integration of health and social care services. Dublin: Health Research Board.Google Scholar
- Saltman, R.B., A. Durán and H.F.W. Dubois. 2011. Governing public hospitals: Reform strategies and the movement towards institutional autonomy. http://www.rahvatervis.ut.ee/handle/1/4662. Accessed 6 Aug 2012.
- Saltman, R., K. Vrangbaek, J. Lehto, and U. Winblad. 2013. After decades of decentralisation, the state now has a growing role in Nordic health systems. LSE European Politics and Policy (EUROPP). http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/50190/. Accessed 23 April 2016.
- The Economist. 2015. Attack of the bean-counters., The Economist http://www.economist.com/news/business/21646741-lawyers-beware-accountants-are-coming-after-your-business-attack-bean-counters. Accessed 26 May 2015.