Untangling myths and facts: Who supported the Québec Charter of Values?
- 99 Downloads
In 2013–2014, the Parti Québécois’ (PQ) Québec Charter of Values was hotly debated in the province of Quebec and the rest of Canada. For some Canadians, it was seen as a calculated move from the PQ to win a majority in the next provincial election, highlighting the stereotypical Quebec citizen’s aversion towards immigrants. For others, it was an important policy that confirmed the secular status of Quebec. The media played a large role in depicting the average Charter supporter. The goal of this study is to empirically test the claims regarding the sociodemographic profile of the Charter’s supporters. Using opinion poll data, we demonstrate that most of these assumptions were false, and that the nature of the support evolved during the debate.
KeywordsQuebec political behaviour contact theory secularism policy
The authors would like to thank CROP for the data, and the Fonds de recherche du Québec - Société et culture for its financial support.
- Allport, G. (1954) The Nature of Prejudice. New York: Anchor.Google Scholar
- Bastien, F., Bélanger, É. and Gélineau, F. (dir) (2013) Les québécois aux urnes. Montréal: Les Presses de l’Université de Montréal.Google Scholar
- Benoit, S. (2013) La stratégie de la peur. La Presse 24 September: A23.Google Scholar
- Boivin, S. (2013) Des gains nets pour la Charte. Le Soleil 12 November: 3.Google Scholar
- Bouchard, G. (2012) L’interculturalisme. Montréal: Boréal.Google Scholar
- Corbeil, M. (2013) La charte et le PQ comparés au Tea Party. Le Soleil 13 November: 16.Google Scholar
- David, M. (2014) Les vieux péquistes. Le Devoir 23 January: A3.Google Scholar
- Guilbault, J. (2013) Lettre d’un souverainiste mou au PQ. La Presse 23 October: A29.Google Scholar
- King, G., Tomz, M. and Wittenberg, J. (2003) CLARIFY: Software for interpreting and presenting statistical results. 2.1 2.1. Stanford University, University of Wisconsin, and Harvard University. 5 January. Available at http://gking.harvard.edu/.
- Pelletier, F. (2014) Appeler un chat un chien. Le Devoir 15 January: A7.Google Scholar