Multi-objective optimization of roundness, cylindricity and areal surface roughness of Inconel 825 using TLBO method in wire electrical discharge turning (WEDT) process
- 76 Downloads
Wire electrical discharge turning (WEDT) is a non-conventional machining process, which was developed to machine cylindrical components on difficult-to-machine, but electrically conductive materials with high precision. In the present work, roundness, cylindricity and areal surface roughness of the parts created by WEDT process are investigated. Inconel 825 was the material chosen for the present study. The main objective of this study is to identify the optimum process parameters required to obtain improved geometry of the turned components with respect to roundness, cylindricity and areal surface roughness. The effects of machining parameters in WEDT process on the output responses are studied using experiments based on Box–Behnken design. ANOVA has been performed to study the effect of process parameters on the output responses. A novel optimization approach is used to identify the optimum parameters for each response. Teaching learning-based optimization (TLBO) is used to optimize the process, considering the three output responses in order to improve the quality of the turned products. Validation experiments were conducted, and the predicted results were verified. It is observed that the roundness, cylindricity and areal surface roughness of components machined with WEDT process obtained from TLBO technique and validation experiments are in close agreement. The surface morphology of the samples having maximum and minimum Sa value was studied using SEM micrographs. Finally, a microelectrode of 185 µm diameter and 4 mm length was successfully fabricated with multiple cut strategy using the WEDT setup in order to demonstrate the process capability.
KeywordsWEDT Roundness Cylindricity Sa TLBO
Authors would sincerely like to thank the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India, and Centre for Precision Measurements and Nanomechanical Testing, Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Calicut, for providing the support to carry out this work under the scheme “Fund for Improvement of Science and Technology” (No. SR/FST/ETI-388/2015). Authors honestly thank Dr. Babu Anto P (Reader, Department of IT, Kannur University Campus) for his support in proofreading this paper.
- 1.Jun Qu, Shih Albert J, Scattergood Ronald O (2002) Development of the cylindrical wire electrical discharge machining process, part 1: concept, design, and material removal rate. Trans ASME 124:702–707Google Scholar
- 2.Jun Qu, Shih Albert J, Scattergood Ronald O (2002) Development of the cylindrical wire electrical discharge machining process, part 2: surface integrity and roundness. Trans ASME 124:708–714Google Scholar
- 21.Izamshaha R, Akmalb M, Alia MA, Kasima MS (2017) Performance evaluation of rotary mechanism characteristics by response surface methodology in cylindrical wire electrical discharge turning. Adv Mater Process 4(2):281–295Google Scholar
- 22.Balamurali D, Manigandan K, Sridhar V (2015) Analysis of the effect machining parameters on wire electrical discharge turning of stainless steel. J Adv Eng Res 2:34–41Google Scholar
- 28.Rahul Kumar Abhishek, Datta Saurav, Biswal Bibhuti Bhusan, Mahapatra Siba Sankar (2017) Machining performance optimization for electro-discharge machining of Inconel 601, 625, 718 and 825: an integrated optimization route combining satisfaction function, fuzzy inference system and Taguchi approach. J Braz Soc Mech Sci Eng 39:3499–3527CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.Deleanu L, Georgescu C, Suciu C (2012) A comparison between 2d and 3d surface parameters for evaluating the quality of surfaces. The 3rd international conference on diagnosis and prediction in mechanical engineering systems DIPRE12. ISSN 1221-4566. http://www.om.ugal.ro/dipre12/CD/papers/7_DIPRE_12%20Deleanu%20Georgescu%20Suciu%20pe%20format%20xx.pdf
- 40.Rajyalakshmi G, Venkata Ramaiah P (2011) Multiple process parameter optimization of wire electrical discharge machining on Inconel 825 using Taguchi grey relational analysis. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 69(5–8):1249–1262Google Scholar
- 43.Rao RV, Patel V (2012) An elitist teaching–learning-based optimization algorithm for solving complex constrained optimization problems. Int J Ind Eng Comput 3:535–560Google Scholar
- 44.Venkata Rao R, Patel Vivek (2013) Comparative performance of an elitist teaching-learning-based optimization algorithm for solving unconstrained optimization problems. Int J Ind Eng Comput 4:29–50Google Scholar