Target-strength Measurements of Sandfish Arctoscopus japonicus
The goal of this study was to estimate the target strength (TS) of the sandfish Arctoscopus japonicus using in-situ and ex-situ methods with an echosounder. For the in-situ TS measurement, the survey was conducted by taking hydroacoustic measurements at 38 and 120 kHz and using a coastal gill net, in Goseong, in the northeastern sea of Korea in early December 2009. Ex-situ measurement of TS used live specimens and the tethering method, and was conducted at 120 kHz. The distribution of fork length (FL) was bimodal: 14.6–19.8 cm (n = 241 individuals, mean = 17.0 cm) for males and 16.3–24.5 cm (n = 105 individuals, mean = 19.6 cm) for females. The in-situ TS ranged from −79.8 to −59.1 dB (mean = −74.3 dB for males and −64.1 dB for females) at 38 kHz and −79.9 to −56.2 dB (mean = −74.3 dB for males and −64.1 dB for females) at 120 kHz. The mean TS of females was approximately 10 dB higher than that of males at each dominant frequency. The female ex-situ TS values ranged from 68.5 to −54.6 dB, and those of males was from −67.7 to −59.3 dB. The mean TS value for females was 2.9 dB higher than that of males. These results may be used in echo-integration surveys of sandfish to estimate their abundance and seasonal distribution.
KeywordsTarget Strength hydroacoustics in-situ ex-situ Arctoscopus japonicus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Edwards JI, Armstrong F, Magurran AE, Pitcher TJ (1984) Herring, mackerel and sprat target strength experiments with behavioural observations. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea, ICES CM 1984/B:34, 21 pGoogle Scholar
- Image J (2009) Open source software, developed by W.S. Rasband, Research Services Branch, National Institute of Mental Health. Bethesda, MarylandGoogle Scholar
- Lee HW, Kim JH, Kang YJ (2006) Sexual maturation and spawning in the sandfish Arctoscopus japonicus in the East Sea of Korea. J Korean Fish Soc 39:349–356Google Scholar
- Lee SI, Yang JH, Yoon SC, Chun YY, Kim JB, Cha HK, Choi YM (2009) Biomass estimation of sailfin sandfish, Arctoscopus japonicus, in Korean waters. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 42:487–493Google Scholar
- Nakken O, Olsen K (1977) Target strength measurements of fish. Rapp P-V Riun Cons Int Explor Mer 170:52–69Google Scholar
- Saito I (2004) Development of fishery resources assessment technology using a scientific echosounder. In: 2002 Annual report of Fisheries Promotion Center, Akita Prefecture Public Relations Division. Akita Prefectural Fisheries Promotion Center, Akita, pp 95–101Google Scholar
- Seseo K (2005) Development survey of fishery resources assessment technology using a scientific echosounder. In: 2003 Annual report of Fisheries Promotion Center, Akita Prefecture Public Relations Division. Akita Prefectural Fisheries Promotion Center, Akita, pp 111–117Google Scholar