Jotting down notes or preparing for the future? Action identification and academic performance
- 253 Downloads
The purpose of the present study was both to extend the performance optimality hypothesis of action identification theory to the realm of education and to examine the indirect role of action identification levels and action maintenance difficulty on the relationship between initial and final performance. Results demonstrated that students’ final performance is related to their initial performance and that this relationship is mediated by the way they identify the action of “attending a class”, which is itself inconsistently mediated by action maintenance difficulty. These findings pave the way for new educational applications in order to improve students’ academic performance.
KeywordsAction identification Action maintenance difficulty Performance optimality hypothesis Academic performance
- Aiken L. S., West S. G. (1991) Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions. Sage, Newbury Park, CAGoogle Scholar
- Arbuckle, J. L. (2005). Amos 6.0 user’s guide. Chicago: SPSS.Google Scholar
- French Minister of research and University. (2007). Plan pluri-annuel pour la réussite en licence. Retrieved on December, the 12th, 2011 from http://media.enseignementsup-recherche.gouv.fr/file/Communiques/01/8/orientationlicence_21018.pdf.
- Hunt, G. W., & Hoyer, W. D. (1993). Action identification theory: An examination of consumers behavioral representations. In L. M. McAlister & M. L. Rotschild (Eds.), Advances in consumer research (Vol. 20, pp. 449–454).Google Scholar
- Pintrich P. R., Schunk D. H. (2002) Motivation in education: Theory, research, and applications (2nd ed.). Merrill-Prentice Hall, Columbus, OHGoogle Scholar
- Vallacher R. R., Wegner D. M. (1985) A theory of action identification. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJGoogle Scholar
- Wegner, D. M., Connally, D., Shearer, D., & Vallacher, R. R. (1983a). Disruption and identifications of the act of eating. Research Data (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Wegner, D. M., Kyser, G., & Vallacher, R. R. (1983b). Identification of the act of using glaucoma medication. Research data (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Wegner, D. M., Richard, M. & Vallacher, R. R. (1982). Identification of the act of rearing a child. Research Data (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Wegner, D. M., & Vallacher, R. R. (1983). Action identification level and maintenance indicators ratings. Research Data (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Wegner, D. M., Vallacher, R. R., Ewert, J., & Reno, L. (1983). Knowing what one is doing: Action identification and self-control. Trinity University (unpublished manuscript).Google Scholar