Comparison of 2c- and 3cLIF droplet temperature imaging
This work presents “pulsed 2D-3cLIF-EET” as a measurement setup for micro-droplet internal temperature imaging. The setup relies on a third color channel that allows correcting spatially changing energy transfer rates between the two applied fluorescent dyes. First measurement results are compared with results of two slightly different versions of the recent “pulsed 2D-2cLIF-EET” method. Results reveal a higher temperature measurement accuracy of the recent 2cLIF setup. Average droplet temperature is determined by the 2cLIF setup with an uncertainty of less than 1 K and a spatial deviation of about 3.7 K. The new 3cLIF approach would become competitive, if the existing droplet size dependency is anticipated by an additional calibration and if the processing algorithm includes spatial measurement errors more appropriately.
This work was performed as part of the Cluster of Excellence “Tailor-Made Fuels from Biomass”, which is funded by the Excellence Initiative of the German federal and state governments to promote science and research at German universities.
- Castanet G, Frackowiak B, Tropea C, Lemoine F (2011) Heat convection within evaporating droplets in strong aerodynamic interactions. Int J Heat Mass Transf 54(15–16):3267–3276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2011.03.060 CrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar
- Chang RK, Campillo AJ (eds) (1996) Optical processes in microcavities, advanced series in applied physics, vol 3. World Scientific, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1142/ASAP
- Chaze W, Caballina O, Castanet G, Lemoine F (2016) The saturation of the fluorescence and its consequences for laser-induced fluorescence thermometry in liquid flows. Exp Fluids. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-016-2142-8
- Deprédurand V, Miron P, Labergue A, Wolff M, Castanet G, Lemoine F (2008) A temperature-sensitive tracer suitable for two-colour laser-induced fluorescence thermometry applied to evaporating fuel droplets. Meas Sci Technol. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/19/10/105403
- Labergue A, Delconte A, Lemoine F (2013) Study of the thermal mixing between two non-isothermal sprays using combined three-color LIF thermometry and phase doppler analyzer. Exp Fluids. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-013-1527-1
- Palmer J, Mathieu F, Reddemann MA, Kneer R (2014) Temperature measurements of evaporating biofuel droplets. In: ILASS Europe 2014, 26th annual conference on liquid atomization and spray systems, BremenGoogle Scholar
- Palmer J, Reddemann MA, Kirsch V, Kneer R (2016) Temperature measurements of micro-droplets using pulsed 2-color laser-induced fluorescence with MDR-enhanced energy transfer. Exp Fluids. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-016-2253-2
- Palmer J, Reddemann M, Kirsch V, Kneer R (2017) Development steps of 2-color laser-induced fluorescence with MDR-enhanced energy transfer for instantaneous planar temperature measurement of micro-droplets and sprays. In: Proceedings ILASS–Europe 2017, 28th European conference on liquid atomization and spray systems, Valencia, Spain. https://doi.org/10.4995/ILASS2017.2017.4591
- Palmer J, Reddemann MA, Kirsch V, Kneer R (2018) Applying 2d-2cLIF-EET thermometry for micro-droplet internal temperature imaging. Exp Fluids. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-018-2506-3
- Perrin L, Castanet G, Lemoine F (2015) Characterization of the evaporation of interacting droplets using combined optical techniques. Exp Fluids. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-015-1900-3