World Bobsleigh Tracks: from Geometry to the Architecture of Sports Facilities
- 60 Downloads
The object of this research is the integration of innovative technologies with the architecture of modern sports facilities. The article describes the use of new methods in the architectural and structural design and landscaping of unique Olympic sports infrastructures, namely bobsleigh, skeleton and luge track complexes. A brief historical overview of winter sled sports is made, in which the geometric analysis of tracks, their architectural styles, and land planning compositions are studied. As a recent example of the architecture of sport facilities, the article presents the author’s original contribution on the bobsleigh track of Sochi, built for the Winter Olympics, 2014. In addition, the question about using the bobsleigh tracks in the off season is also examined.
KeywordsGeometry Structural systems Modules Engineering Landscape architecture
- Aristova L. V. 1999. Fizkulturno-sportivnye sooruzheniya [Physical training and sport facilities] Moscow: SportAkademiya – Press.Google Scholar
- Bobskesan (in Russian), Nd. Olimpyskaya trassa v Sankt-Moritse [Olympic track in St. Moritz]. http://bobskesan.ru/track/st-moritz/#har (accessed 10 November 2016).
- IBSF. 2015. International Bobsleigh Rules 2015 –IBSF http://www.ibsf.org/images/documents/downloads/2015_International_Rules_BOBSLEIGH.pdf (accessed 10 November 2016).
- Klassifikatsiya sportivnykh sooruzheny [Classification of sports facilities]. http://www.thsport.ru/poleznyie_stati.html (accessed 10 November 2016).
- Kulakov S. 2016. V Sochi proshli sorevnovaniya po spusku na rolikakh i longbordakh na bobsleynoy trasse “Beton on Fire”. [The competition Beton on Fire in downhill on rollers and longboard took place on bobsleigh track in Sochi]. http://fotoserg.livejournal.com/204889.html (accessed 10 November 2016).
- Proyekt Sanno-bobsleynaya trassa s inzhenernoy zashchitoy i vneploshchadochnymi setyami elektrosnabzheniya, vodosnabzheniya i kanalizatsii (proyektnyei, izyskatelskiye raboty, stroitelstvo). [Project Bobsleigh track with engineering support and outside networks of electricity, water supply and sanitation services (design and survey works, construction)] 2010-2014. Moscow. OOO NPO ‘Mostovik’.Google Scholar