Fundamental Relation Between Entropy Production and Heat Current
We investigate the fundamental relation between entropy production rate and the speed of energy exchange between a system and baths in classical Markov processes. We establish the fact that quick energy exchange inevitably induces large entropy production in a quantitative form. More specifically, we prove two inequalities on instantaneous quantities: one is applicable to general Markov processes induced by heat baths, and the other is applicable only to systems with the local detailed-balance condition but is stronger than the former one. We demonstrate the physical meaning of our result by applying to some specific setups. In particular, we show that our inequality is tight in the linear response regime.
KeywordsHeat engines Finite time thermodynamics Stochastic thermodynamics
We are grateful to Hal Tasaki for fruitful discussion. He was a co-author in the joint work , and contributed to deriving several relations. NS was supported by Grant-in-Aid for JSPS Fellows JP17J00393. KS was supported by JSPS Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (No. JP25103003, JP16H02211 and JP17K05587).
- 16.Ponmurugan, M.: Attainability of maximum work and the reversible efficiency from minimally nonlinear irreversible heat engines. arXiv:1604.01912 (2016)Google Scholar
- 27.Brandner, K., Saito, K., Seifert, U.: Thermodynamics of micro-and nano-systems driven by periodic temperature variations. Phys. Rev. X 5, 031019 (2015)Google Scholar
- 29.Proesmans, K., Cleuren, B., Van den Broeck, C.: Linear stochastic thermodynamics for periodically driven systems. J. Stat. Mech. P023202 (2016)Google Scholar
- 39.Dechant, A., Sasa, S.: Current fluctuations and transport efficiency for general Langevin systems. J. Stat. Mech. 063209 (2018)Google Scholar
- 40.Dechant, A., Sasa, S.: Fluctuation-response inequality out of equilibrium. arXiv:1804.08250 (2018)Google Scholar
- 43.Taneja, I.J.: Bounds on triangular discrimination, harmonic mean and symmetric chi-square divergences. arXiv:math/0505238 (2005)Google Scholar
- 47.Shiraishi, N., Saito, K.: Incompatibility between Carnot efficiency and finite power in Markovian dynamics. arXiv:1602.03645 (2016)Google Scholar
- 48.Van Kampen, N.G.: Stochastic Process in Physics and Chemistry, 3rd edn. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2007)Google Scholar
- 52.Funo, K., Shiraishi, N., Saito, K.: Speed limit for open quantum systems. arXiv:1810.03011 (2018)Google Scholar
- 55.Shiraishi, N.: Finite-time thermodynamic uncertainty relation do not hold for discrete-time Markov process. arXiv:1706.00892 (2017)Google Scholar