Proline accumulation in plants: a review
- 5.6k Downloads
Proline (Pro) accumulation is a common physiological response in many plants in response to a wide range of biotic and abiotic stresses. Controversy has surrounded the possible role(s) of proline accumulation. In this review, knowledge on the regulation of Pro metabolism during development and stress, results of genetic manipulation of Pro metabolism and current debate on Pro toxicity in plants are presented.
KeywordsOsmotic stress Genetic engineering Proline toxicity P5CS P5CR P5CDH PDH
ABA responsive element
Green fluorescent protein
Natural silencing RNA
Pentose phosphate pathway
Reactive oxygen species
The authors thank the Belgian Science Policy for financial support (project PAIVI/33, return grant of C.H).
- Nakashima K, Satoh R, Kiyosue T, Yamagashi-Shinozaki K, Shinozaki K (1998) A gene encoding proline dehydrogenase is not only induced by proline and hypoosmolarity, but is also developmentally regulated in the reproductive organs of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol 118:1233–1241PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Parre E, Ghars MA, Leprince AS, Thiery L, Lefebvre D, Bordenave M, Richard L, Mazars C, Abdelly C, Savouré A (2007) Calcium signaling via phospholipase C is essential for proline accumulation upon ionic but not nonionic hyperosmotic stresses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol 144:503–512PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Strizhov N, Abraham E, Okresz L, Blickling S, Zilberstein A, Schell J, Koncz C, Szabados L (1997) Differential expression of two P5CS genes controlling proline accumulation during salt-stress requires ABA and is regulated by ABA1, ABI1 and AXR2 in Arabidopsis. Plant J 12:557–569PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Székely G, Abraham E, Cseplo A, Rigo G, Zsigmond L, Csiszar J, Ayaydin F, Strizhov N, Jasik J, Schmelzer E, Koncz C, Szabados L (2008) Duplicated P5CS genes of Arabidopsis play distinct roles in stress regulation and developmental control of proline biosynthesis. Plant J 53:11–28PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weltmeier F, Ehlert A, Mayer CS, Dietrich K, Wang X, Schutze K, Alonso R, Harter K, Vicente-Carbajosa J, Droge-Laser W (2006) Combinatorial control of Arabidopsis proline dehydrogenase transcription by specific heterodimerisation of bZIP transcription factors. EMBO J 25:3133–3143PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yoshiba Y, Kiyosue T, Katagiri T, Ueda H, Mizoguchi T, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K, Wada K, Harada Y, Shinozaki K (1995) Correlation between the induction of a gene for Δ1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase and the accumulation of proline in Arabidopsis thaliana under osmotic stress. Plant J 7:751–760PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar