Constructivism: Defense or a Continual Critical Appraisal A Response to Gil-Pérez et al.
- Mansoor NiazAffiliated withUniversidad de Oriente
- , Fouad Abd-El-KhalickAffiliated withUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- , Alicia BenarrochAffiliated withUniversidad de Granada
- , Liberato CardelliniAffiliated withUniversitá Degli Studi di Ancona
- , Carlos E. LaburúAffiliated withUniversidade Estadual de Londrina
- , Nicolás MarínAffiliated withUniversidad de Almería
- , Luis A. MontesAffiliated withEscuela Técnica de Pesca de Cumaná
- , Robert NolaAffiliated withUniversity of Auckland
- , Yuri OrlikAffiliated withUniversidad Javeriana
- and 3 more
- , Lawrence C. ScharmannAffiliated withUniversidad de OrienteKansas State University
- , Chin-Chung TsaiAffiliated withUniversidad de OrienteNational Chiao Tung University
- , Georgios TsaparlisAffiliated withUniversidad de OrienteUniversity of Ioannina
- Show less
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This commentary is a critical appraisal of Gil-Pérez et al.'s (2002) conceptualization of constructivism. It is argued that the following aspects of their presentation are problematic: (a) Although the role of controversy is recognized, the authors implicitly subscribe to a Kuhnian perspective of `normal' science; (b) Authors fail to recognize the importance of von Glasersfeld's contribution to the understanding of constructivism in science education; (c) The fact that it is not possible to implement a constructivist pedagogy without a constructivist epistemology has been ignored; and (d) Failure to recognize that the metaphor of the `student as a developing scientist' facilitates teaching strategies as students are confronted with alternative/rival/conflicting ideas. Finally, we have shown that constructivism in science education is going through a process of continual critical appraisals.
- Constructivism: Defense or a Continual Critical Appraisal A Response to Gil-Pérez et al.
Science & Education
Volume 12, Issue 8 , pp 787-797
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Universidad de Oriente, Venezuela
- 2. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A.
- 3. Universidad de Granada, Spain
- 4. Universitá Degli Studi di Ancona, Italy
- 5. Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Brazil
- 6. Universidad de Almería, Spain
- 7. Escuela Técnica de Pesca de Cumaná, Venezuela
- 8. University of Auckland, New Zealand
- 9. Universidad Javeriana, Colombia
- 10. Kansas State University, U.S.A.
- 11. National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
- 12. University of Ioannina, Greece