Long-term recovery from mine drainage disturbance of a macroinvertebrate community in the Ichi-kawa River, Japan
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The effects of mine drainage on a benthic macroinvertebrate community and its recovery have been investigated for 25 years in the Ichi-kawa River in western Japan, focusing especially on change in community structure. Concentrations of arsenic, copper and zinc in the water were distinctly higher at sites just below the drainage than an upstream reference site before mine closure in 1973. Benthic communities there were severely damaged, as evidenced by reductions in the number of families and biomass. Chironomidae and a mayfly, Epeorus latifolium, predominated at the impacted sites, whereas stenopsychid caddisflies were dominant at the reference site. After mine closure, zinc concentrations significantly decreased downstream, although they remained higher than at the reference site. Following this, family richness and biomass of benthic communities clearly increased. In addition, the percentage of Trichoptera increased and, finally, Stenopsychidae became the dominant family in 1996 at all sites except just below the drainage. Therefore, the dominance of Stenopsychidae at the impacted sites is expected to be an indicator of complete recovery of the benthic community from the effect of mine drainage.
- Armitage, P. D., 1980. The effect of mine drainage and organic enrichment on benthos in the River Nent system, Northern Pennines. Hydrobiologia 74: 119–128.
- Ashida, K., T. Nakano, H. Kitamura & H. Watanabe, 1973. Studies on the biological function of the self-purification in natural water (I) On the chemical characteristics of River Ichikawa. Rep. envir. Sci. Inst. Hyogo Prefecture 5: 12–19 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Brown, B. E., 1977. Effects of mine drainage on the River Hayle, Cornwall A) Factors affecting concentrations of copper, zinc and iron in water, sediments and dominant invertebrate fauna. Hydrobiologia 52: 221–233.
- Chadwick, J. W. & S. P. Canton, 1984. Inadequacy of diversity indices in discerning metal mine drainage effects on a stream invertebrate community. Wat. Air Soil Pollut. 22: 217–223.
- Chadwick, J. W., S. P. Canton & R. L. Dent, 1986. Recovery of benthic invertebrate communities in Silver Bow Creek, Montana, following improved metal wastewater treatment. Wat. Air Soil Pollut. 28: 427–438.
- Clements, W. H., 1994. Benthic invertebrate community responses to heavy metals in the upper Arkansas River Basin, Colorado. J. n. am. Benthol. Soc. 13: 30–44.
- Clements, W. H., D. S. Cherry & J. Cairns, Jr., 1988a. Structural alterations in aquatic insect communities exposed to copper in laboratory streams. Envir. Toxicol. Chem. 7: 715–722.
- Clements, W. H., D. S. Cherry & J. Cairns, Jr., 1988b. Impact of heavy metals on insect communities in streams: a comparison of observational and experimental results. Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 45: 2017–2025.
- Clements, W. H., D. S. Cherry & J. H. Van Hassel, 1992. Assessment of the impact of heavy metals on benthic communities at the Clinch River (Virginia): evaluation of an index of community sensitivity. Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 49: 1686–1694.
- Gose, K., 1960a. On the influence of mine-effluents of the Tateri Mine, Kawamata Mine (Nara Prefecture) and Imori Mine (Wakayama Prefecture) on stream organisms. Jap. J. Ecol. 10: 38–45 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Gose, K., 1960b. On the influence of pollution by the Ashio coppermine upon the stream organisms. Jpn. J. Limnol. 21: 1–8 (in Japanese).
- Gose, K., 1960c. On the influence of mine effluents of the Ikuno Mine (Hyogo Prefecture) and Yanahara Mine (Okayama Prefecture) on stream organisms. Jap. J. Ecol. 10: 193–198 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Gose, K., 1961a. On the influence of mine-effluents of the Kamioka Mine (Gifu Prefecture), Ogoya Mine (Ishikawa Prefecture) and Hosokura Mine (Miyagi Prefecture) on stream organisms. Jap. J. Ecol. 11: 111–117 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Gose, K., 1961b. A summary report of investigations on the effect of mine drainage on stream organisms. Freshwater Biology (Tansuiseibutsu) 7: 18–25 (in Japanese).
- Gose, K., 1968. On the succession of benthic communities in rapids of the Yoshino River, Nara Prefecture. Jap. J. Ecol. 18: 147–157 (in Japanese with English Abstract).
- Gower, A. M., G. Myers, M. Kent & M. E. Foulkes, 1994. Relationships between macroinvertebrate communities and environmental variables in metal-contaminated streams in south-west England. Freshwat. Biol. 32: 199–221.
- Hatakeyama, S., 1989. Effect of copper and zinc on the growth and emergence of Epeorus latifolium (Ephemeroptera) in an indoor model stream. Hydrobiologia 174: 17–27.
- Hoiland, W. K. & F. W. Rabe, 1992. Effects of increasing zinc levels and habitat degradation onmacroinvertebrate communities in three North Idaho streams. J. Freshwat. Ecol. 7: 373–380.
- Hoiland, W. K., F. W. Rabe & R. C. Biggam, 1994. Recovery of macroinvertebrate communities from metal pollution in the South Fork and mainstem of the Coeur d'Alene River, Idaho. Wat. Envir. Res. 66: 84–88.
- Hyogo Prefecture, 1974-1976. The Annual Report of Environmental Quality in Hyogo Prefecture-Water Quality (in Japanese).
- Hyogo Prefecture, 1984. The Annual Report of Environmental Quality in Hyogo Prefecture-Water Quality (in Japanese).
- Japanese Industrial Standards Committee, 1971. Testing methods for industrial waste water JIS K 0102, Japanese Industrial Standards Association, Tokyo: 169 pp. (in Japanese).
- Johnson, R. K., T. Wiederholm & D. M. Rosenberg, 1993. Freshwater biomonitoring using individual organisms, populations, and species assemblages of benthic macroinvertebrates. In Rosenberg, D. M. & V. H. Resh (eds), Freshwater Biomonitoring and Benthic Macroinvertebrates. Chapman & Hall, New York, London: 40–158.
- Jones, J. R. E., 1940. A study of the zinc-polluted river Ystwyth in North Cardiganshire, Wales. Ann. appl. Biol. 27: 368–378.
- Kiffney, P. M. & W. H. Clements, 1994. Effects of heavy metals on a macroinvertebrate assemblage from a Rocky Mountain stream in experimental microcosms. J. n. am. Benthol. Soc. 13: 511–523.
- Komatsu, T., 1975. The seasonal and the annual changes of benthic communities of the climax in rapids of the stream. Jap. J. Ecol. 25: 160–172 (in Japanese with Engligh abstract).
- Laurie, R. D. & J. R. E. Jones, 1938. The faunistic recovery of a lead-polluted river in north Cardiganshire, Wales. J. anim. Ecol. 7: 272–289.
- Leland, H. V., S. V. Fend, T. L. Dudley & J. L. Carter, 1989. Effects of copper on species composition of benthic insects in a Sierra Nevada, California, stream. Freshwat. Biol. 21: 163–179.
- Machida, Y. & S. Ishizaki, 1975. On the benthic fauna of some river systems in the Nagasaki District (1) The Sasu and the Se Rivers of Tsushima in winter. Jap. J. Limnol. 36: 122–130 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Mitin, A. V., 1985. The isozyme spectra of hemolymph enzymes in mayfly nymphs as an indicator of industrial pollution. Hydrobiol. J. 21: 89–93.
- Nelson, S. M. & R. A. Roline, 1996. Recovery of a stream macroinvertebrate community from mine drainage disturbance. Hydrobiologia 339: 73–84.
- Nishimura, N., 1960. Fresh-water communities in the Maruyama River system, Hyogo Prefecture IV. Distribution of benthic insects in the middle and lower parts of the river. Jap. J. Ecol. 10: 141–148 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Norris, R. H., 1986. Mine waste pollution of the Molonglo River, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory: effectiveness of remedial works at Captains Flat mining area. Aust. J. mar. Freshwat. Res. 37: 147–157.
- Norris, R. H., P. S. Lake & R. Swain, 1982. Ecological effects of mine effluents on the South Esk River, north-eastern Tasmania III. Benthic macroinvertebrates. Aust. J. mar. Freshwat. Res. 33: 789–809.
- Okada, S. & K. Uesugi, 1958. Quality of the river water and its pollution III. The River Ichi. Rep. Himeji Inst. Technol. 8: 78–81 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Peckarsky, B. L. & K. Z. Cook, 1981. Effect of Keystone Mine effluent on colonization of stream benthos. Envir. Ent. 10: 864–871.
- Poulton, B. C., D. P. Monda, D. F. Woodward, M. L. Wildhaber & W. G. Brumbaugh, 1995. Relations between benthic community structure and metals concentrations in aquatic macroinvertebrates: Clark Fork River, Montana. J. Freshwat. Ecol. 10: 277–293.
- Roline, R. A., 1988. The effects of heavy metals pollution of the upper Arkansas River on the distribution of aquatic macroinvertebrates. Hydrobiologia 160: 3–8.
- Savage, N. L. & F. W. Rabe, 1973. The effects of mine and domestic wastes on macroinvertebrate community structure in the Coeur d'Alene River. Northwest Sci. 47: 159–168.
- Schultheis, A. S., M. Sanchez & A. C. Hendricks, 1997. Structural and functional responses of stream insects to copper pollution. Hydrobiologia 346: 85–93.
- Tsuda, M., 1959. Some problems on the standing crop of benthic communities of running waters, especially the importance of netspinning caddis-worms. Jap. J. Limnol. 20: 86–92 (in Japanese).
- Tsuda, M. & K. Gose, 1964. On the succession of aquatic insect communities in rapids of the river. Physiol. Ecol. 12: 243–251 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Watanabe, N. C. & S. Harada, 1976a. On the recent recovery of bottom fauna in River Ichikawa which receives mine effluent. Rep. envir. Sci. Inst. Hyogo Prefecture 8: 20–25 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Watanabe, N. C. & S. Harada, 1976b. Some problems in sampling stream fauna, with particular reference to the variability of samples. Jap. J. Limnol. 37: 47–58 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Watanabe, N. C., S. Harada, H. Kitamura & H. Watanabe, 1973. Effects of pollution on aquatic life. a. On the influence of mineeffluent on benthic organisms of River Ichikawa. Rep. envir. Sci. Inst. Hyogo Prefecture, 5: 27–32 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Weaver, J. S., 1987. New species of Stenopsyche from the Northeastern Orient (Trichoptera: Stenopsychidae). Aquat. Ins. 9: 161–168.
- Winner, R. W., M. W. Boesel & M. P. Farrell, 1980. Insect community structure as an index of heavy-metal pollution in lotic ecosystems. Can. J. Fish. aquat. Sci. 37: 647–655.
- Yasuno, M., S. Hatakeyama & Y. Sugaya, 1985. Characteristic distribution of chironomids in the rivers polluted with heavy metals. Verh. int. Ver. Limnol. 22: 2371–2377.
- Long-term recovery from mine drainage disturbance of a macroinvertebrate community in the Ichi-kawa River, Japan
Volume 429, Issue 1-3 , pp 171-180
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- mine drainage
- benthic invertebrates
- community structure
- long-term recovery
- Industry Sectors