Guest Editorial: new basic and clinical aspects of graft-versus-host disease: what can we do without “Doc” Brown’s help?
- Akiyoshi Takami
- … show all 1 hide
When confronting a difficult case of graft-versus-host disease (GVHD), have you ever wished to be able to go back in time? I suppose that only those of you who already have a time machine, like the one operated by Emmett “Doc” Brown and his friend, Martin “Marty” McFly from the 1985 film Back to the Future can honestly say they have not.
Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) offers a curative therapy for malignant and nonmalignant hematologic diseases and other disorders. However, GVHD remains a major and lethal complication that limits the wider application of allogeneic HSCT. GVHD develops in recipients of donor grafts that contain T cells responding to genetically distinct proteins on host cells. Human leukocyte antigen (HLA) genes, such as HLA-A, B, C, DRB1, DPB1, and DQB1, which have vast numbers of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), are the most important factor affecting the risk and severity of GVHD. Polymorphisms of non-HLA genes that mainly impact indi ...
- Paczesny S, Raiker N, Brooks S, Mumaw C. Graft-versus-host disease biomarkers: omics and personalized medicine. Int J Hematol. 2013.
- Maeda Y. Pathogenesis of graft versus host disease: innate immunity amplifying acute alloimmune responses. Int J Hematol 2013.
- Kanda J. The role of HLA mismatch in graft-versus-host disease. Int J Hematol. 2013.
- Takami A. The role of non-HLA gene polymorphisms in graft-versus-host disease. Int J Hematol. 2013.
- Guest Editorial: new basic and clinical aspects of graft-versus-host disease: what can we do without “Doc” Brown’s help?
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 98, Issue 3 , pp 273-274
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Akiyoshi Takami (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Hematology and Oncology, Kanazawa University Hospital, 13-1 Takaramachi, Kanazawa, 920-8641, Japan