Reducing drying energy and costs by process alterations at aggregate stockpiles
In the field of bulk solids, handling knowledge on moisture behaviour in aggregate stockpiles can be useful for process optimisation in terms of energy consumption. In the asphalt industry, an increase in moisture content leads to a significant increase in energy consumption. To determine the characteristics of moisture behaviour, correlations are investigated between theory on soil–water movements and moisture in aggregates. With column drainage experiments with porous bottom, similarities between theory and practice are found. This allows the use of theoretical hydrologic models to determine and predict the moisture behaviour in drained piles. The effect of process alterations within the system of piles on energy consumption was investigated, and a significant reduction of energy consumption was found.
- Brooks, R. H., & Corey, A. T. (1964). Hydraulic properties of porous media, hydrology paper no. 3. Fort Collins: Civil Engineering Dep., Colorado State Univ.
- Dingman, S. L. (2002). Physical Hydrology. Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-099695-5.
- Eckersley, J. (1994a). Moisture movement in coal stockpiles 1: laboratory investigations. The Australian Coal Journal no. 43.
- Eckersley, J. (1994b). Moisture movement in coal stockpiles 2: instrumented stockpile experiment. The Australian Coal Journal no. 43.
- Eckersley, J. (1994c). Moisture movement in coal stockpiles 3: analysis of vertical distribution. The Australian Coal Journal no. 43.
- Hydrus 1D, version 4.12, University of California Riverside, 2005–2008, http://www.pc-progress.com/en/default.aspx?downloads
- Mualem, Y. (1976). A new model for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated porous media. Water Resources Research, 12, 513–522. CrossRef
- Schott, D. L., Maan, O. C., et al. (2008). Environmental management accounting applied for storage systems. Bulk Solids Handling, 8(7), 464–474.
- Šimůnek, J., van Genuchten, M. T., & Šejna, M. (2008). Development and applications of the HYDRUS and STANMOD software packages and related codes. Vadose Zone Journal, 7(2), 587–600. doi:10.2136/VZJ2007.0077. Special Issue. CrossRef
- Thijssen, G. J. (2009) Pre-reducing the moisture content in aggregates at asphalt production plants of royal BAM group, Delft University of Technology, Dep. Transport Engineering and Logistics, 2009.TEL.7384, MSc thesis
- Van Genuchten, M. T. (1980). A closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 44, 892–898. CrossRef
- Reducing drying energy and costs by process alterations at aggregate stockpiles
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 223-233
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Energy savings
- Loss prevention
- Asphalt production
- Moisture behaviour
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Marine and Transport Technology, Faculty of Mechanical, Maritime and Materials Engineering, Delft University of Technology, Mekelweg 2, 2628 CD, Delft, The Netherlands
- 2. BAM Wegen, Postbus 6217, 4000 HE, Tiel, The Netherlands