Cardiovascular health, traffic-related air pollution and noise: are associations mutually confounded? A systematic review
- Louis-François TétreaultAffiliated withDépartement de santé environnementale et santé au travaill, University of Montreal
- , Stéphane PerronAffiliated withDépartement de médecine sociale et préventive, University of MontrealDirection de santé publique de l’Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal
- , Audrey SmargiassiAffiliated withDépartement de santé environnementale et santé au travaill, University of Montreal Email author
This review assessed the confounding effect of one traffic-related exposure (noise or air pollutants) on the association between the other exposure and cardiovascular outcomes.
A systematic review was conducted with the databases Medline and Embase. The confounding effects in studies were assessed by using change in the estimate with a 10 % cutoff point. The influence on the change in the estimate of the quality of the studies, the exposure assessment methods and the correlation between road noise and air pollutions were also assessed.
Nine publications were identified. For most studies, the specified confounders produced changes in estimates <10 %. The correlation between noise and pollutants, the quality of the study and of the exposure assessment do not seem to influence the confounding effects.
Results from this review suggest that confounding of cardiovascular effects by noise or air pollutants is low, though with further improvements in exposure assessment, the situation may change. More studies using pollution indicators specific to road traffic are needed to properly assess if noise and air pollution are subjected to confounding.
KeywordsNoise Air pollution Confounding Cardiovascular
- Cardiovascular health, traffic-related air pollution and noise: are associations mutually confounded? A systematic review
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
International Journal of Public Health
Volume 58, Issue 5 , pp 649-666
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Basel
- Additional Links
- Air pollution
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Département de santé environnementale et santé au travaill, University of Montreal, 2375 Chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine, Montréal, QC, H3T 1A8, Canada
- 2. Département de médecine sociale et préventive, University of Montreal, 1301 Sherbrooke est, Montreal, QC, H2L 1M3, Canada
- 3. Direction de santé publique de l’Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal, Quebec, Canada