Dietary management of malnutrition
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Diet plays a crucial role in the management of a case of proteinenergy malnutrition. Severe malnutrition is best managed in the hospital as such cases usually have lifethreatening complications. When the child is critically ill, a cautious approach to feeding is vital. By the end of the first week the acute problems have usually been overcome and oral feeds should be introduced. In the rehabilitation phase, the emphasis is on weight gain and so a more vigorous approach is needed. Upto 200 kCal/kg/day has to be given for maximum ‘catchup growth’. Transfer to family type diet is an important final step in rehabilitation before the patient is discharged from the hospital.
Mild to moderate cases of malnutrition can be treated at home or in a nutrition rehabilitation centre. Important aspects of domiciliary treatment are nutritioneducation for the mother and feeding the child ‘from the family pot’ with close supervision and encouragement.
- Ashworth A: Growth rates in children recovering from protein calorie malnutrition. Br J Nutr 23; 835, 1969; CrossRef
- Ashworth A: Progress in the treatment of protein-energy malnutrition. Proc Nutr Soc 38;89,1979 CrossRef
- Barness L A: Nutritional disorders.In., Vaughan VC, Mckay RJ and Behrman RE (Ed). Nelson’s Texbook of Pediatrics. W.B. Saunders and Co., Philadelphia, 1979, p 214
- Ashworth A: Practical aspects of dietary management during rehabilitation from servere protein-energy malnutrition. J Human Nutr 34; 360, 1980
- Waterlow JC, Golder MNN, Patrick J:In, Nutrition in the Clinical Management of Disease, (Eds.) JWT Dickerson & HA Lee, Edward Arnold, London 1970, pp 49
- Alleyn GAO et al:In, Protein Energy Malnutrition. Edward Arnold London. 1977, p 119
- Jelliffe DB: Child Health in the Tropics. Edward, Arnold, London, p 56
- Rugmini PS, Walia BNS: Hospital management of malnutrition Part I. Indian J Pediat 48:211, 1981 CrossRef
- Dietary management of malnutrition
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 49, Issue 2 , pp 219-225
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors