Initial grain motion under oscillatory flow: A comparison of some threshold criteria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Experimental data are described on the threshold of transport of quartz, ilmenite, and cassiterite grains under oscillatory flow in a flume and the results are compared to those of other investigators. The results show that for a given particle size, critical shear stress (τcrit) increases with increasing wave period and that τcrit increases with both grain size and grain density. These data are compared with prediction equations.
- Sternberg, R. W., Larsen, L. H. (1975) Threshold of sediment movement by open ocean waves: Observations. Deep-Sea Research 22: pp. 299-309
- Bagnold, R. S. (1946) Motion of waves in shallow water; interaction between waves and sand bottom. Proceedings Royal Society London, Series A 187: pp. 1-5 CrossRef
- Hammond, T. M., Collins, M. B. (1979) The design and use of an oscillating trolley wave-simulator, for installation in unidirectional flow flumes. Estuarine and Coastal Marine Science 9: pp. 801-811 CrossRef
- Manohar, M., 1955. Mechanics of bottom sediment movement due to wave action. Beach Erosion Board, Technical Memorandum, no. 75, 121 pp.
- Sleath, J. F. A. (1978) Measurements of bedload in oscillatory flow. Journal of Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Division, ASCE 104: pp. 291-307
- Komar, P. D., Miller, M. C. (1973) The threshold of sediment movement under oscillatory water waves. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology 43: pp. 1101-1110
- Hallermeier, R. J. (1980) Sand motion initiation by water waves: Two asymptotes. Journal of Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Division, ASCE 106: pp. 299-318
- Komar, P. D., Miller, M. C. (1974) Sediment threshold under oscillatory waves. Proceedings 14th Coastal Engineering Conference 2: pp. 756-775
- Komar, P. D., Miller, M. C. (1975) On the comparison between the threshold of sediment motion under waves and unidirectional currents with a discussion of the practical evaluation of the threshold. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology 45: pp. 362-367
- Madsen, O. S., Grant, W. D. (1975) The threshold of sediment movement under oscillatory waves, a discussion. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology 45: pp. 360-361
- Nielson, P., 1979. Some basic concepts of wave sediment transport. Institute of Hydrodynamics and Hydraulic Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Series Paper 20, 160 pp.
- Sleath, J. F. A. (1974) Stability of laminar flow at seabed. Journal of Waterways, Harbours and Coastal Engineering Division, ASCE 100: pp. 105-122
- Kamphuis, J. W. (1975) Friction factor under oscillatory waves. Journal of Waterways, Harbours and Coastal Engineering Division, ASCE 101: pp. 135-144
- Shields, A. A., 1936. Application of similarity principles and turbulence research to bedload movement. Mitteilungen de Preussischen Versuchsanstalt für Wasserbau und Schiffbau, Berlin. In: W. B. Ott and J. C. von Uchelen (translators), California Institute of Technology, W. M. Kech Laboratory of Hydraulics and Water Resources, Report no. 167, 42 pp.
- Miller, M. C., McCave, I. N., Komar, P. D. (1977) Threshold of sediment motion under unidirectional currents. Sedimentology 24: pp. 507-527 CrossRef
- Initial grain motion under oscillatory flow: A comparison of some threshold criteria
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 43-48
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links