Initial grain motion under oscillatory flow: A comparison of some threshold criteria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Experimental data are described on the threshold of transport of quartz, ilmenite, and cassiterite grains under oscillatory flow in a flume and the results are compared to those of other investigators. The results show that for a given particle size, critical shear stress (τcrit) increases with increasing wave period and that τcrit increases with both grain size and grain density. These data are compared with prediction equations.
- Sternberg, R. W., and Larsen, L. H., 1975. Threshold of sediment movement by open ocean waves: Observations. Deep-Sea Research, v. 22, pp. 299–309.
- Bagnold, R. S., 1946. Motion of waves in shallow water; interaction between waves and sand bottom. Proceedings Royal Society London, Series A, v. 187, pp. 1–5. CrossRef
- Hammond, T. M., and Collins, M. B., 1979. The design and use of an oscillating trolley wave-simulator, for installation in unidirectional flow flumes. Estuarine and Coastal Marine Science, v. 9, pp. 801–811. CrossRef
- Manohar, M., 1955. Mechanics of bottom sediment movement due to wave action. Beach Erosion Board, Technical Memorandum, no. 75, 121 pp.
- Sleath, J. F. A., 1978. Measurements of bedload in oscillatory flow. Journal of Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Division, ASCE, v. 104, pp. 291–307.
- Komar, P. D., and Miller, M. C., 1973. The threshold of sediment movement under oscillatory water waves. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, v. 43, pp. 1101–1110.
- Hallermeier, R. J., 1980. Sand motion initiation by water waves: Two asymptotes. Journal of Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Division, ASCE, v. 106, pp. 299–318.
- Komar, P. D., and Miller, M. C., 1974. Sediment threshold under oscillatory waves. Proceedings 14th Coastal Engineering Conference, v. 2, pp. 756–775.
- Komar, P. D., and Miller, M. C., 1975. On the comparison between the threshold of sediment motion under waves and unidirectional currents with a discussion of the practical evaluation of the threshold. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, v. 45, pp. 362–367.
- Madsen, O. S., and Grant, W. D., 1975. The threshold of sediment movement under oscillatory waves, a discussion. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, v. 45, pp. 360–361.
- Nielson, P., 1979. Some basic concepts of wave sediment transport. Institute of Hydrodynamics and Hydraulic Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Series Paper 20, 160 pp.
- Sleath, J. F. A., 1974. Stability of laminar flow at seabed. Journal of Waterways, Harbours and Coastal Engineering Division, ASCE, v. 100, pp. 105–122.
- Kamphuis, J. W., 1975. Friction factor under oscillatory waves. Journal of Waterways, Harbours and Coastal Engineering Division, ASCE, v. 101, pp. 135–144.
- Shields, A. A., 1936. Application of similarity principles and turbulence research to bedload movement. Mitteilungen de Preussischen Versuchsanstalt für Wasserbau und Schiffbau, Berlin. In: W. B. Ott and J. C. von Uchelen (translators), California Institute of Technology, W. M. Kech Laboratory of Hydraulics and Water Resources, Report no. 167, 42 pp.
- Miller, M. C., McCave, I. N., and Komar, P. D., 1977. Threshold of sediment motion under unidirectional currents. Sedimentology, v. 24, pp. 507–527. CrossRef
- Initial grain motion under oscillatory flow: A comparison of some threshold criteria
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 43-48
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links