Platelet serotonin, a possible marker for familial autism
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Serotonin (5HT) levels in platelet-rich plasma were measured in 5 autistic subjects who had siblings with either autism or pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), 23 autistic subjects without affected siblings, and 10 normal controls. The 5HT levels of autistic subjects with affected siblings were significantly higher than probands without affected siblings, and autistic subjects without affected siblings had 5HT levels significantly higher than controls. Differences in 5HT levels remained significant after adjustment for sex, age, and IQ. These results suggest that 5HT level in autistic subjects may be associated with genetic liability to autism.
- Abbott, M. H., Folstein, S. E., Abbey, H., & Pyeritz, R. E. (1987). Psychiatric manifestations of homocystinuria due to cystathione B-synthetase deficiency: Prevalence, natural history and relationship to neurologic impairment and vitamin B6-responsiveness.American Journal of Medical Genetics, 26, 959–969.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Anderson, G. M., Young, J. G., Cohen, D. J., Schlicht, K. R., & Patel, N. (1981). Liquidchromatographic determination of serotonin and tryptophan in whole blood and plasma.Clinical Chemistry, 27, 775–776.
- Anderson, G. M., Freedman, D. X., Cohen, D. J., Volkmar, F. R., Hoder, E. L., McPhedran, P., Minderaa, R. B., Hansen, C. R., & Young, J. G. (1987). Whole blood serotonin in autistic and normal subjects.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 28, 885–900.
- Boullin, D. J., Coleman, M., O'Brien, A. R., & Rimland, B. (1971). Laboratory predictions of infantile autism on 5-hydroxytryptamine efflux from blood platelets and their correlation with correlation with the Rimland E-2 score.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 1, 63–71.
- Boullin, D., Freeman, B. J., Geller, E., Ritvo, E., Rutter, M., & Yuwiler, A. (1978). Toward the resolution of conflicting findings.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 12, 97–98.
- Campbell, M., Friedman, E., DeVito, E., Greenspan, L., & Collins, P. J. (1974). Blood serotonin in psychotic and brain damaged children.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 4, 33–41.
- Cannon, T., Mednick, S. A., & Parnas, J. (1989). Genetic and perinatal determinants of structural brain deficits in schizophrenia.Archives of General Psychiatry, 46, 883–889.
- Cook, E. H., Leventhal, B. L., & Freedman, D. X. (1988a). Free serotonin in plasma: Autistic children and their first-degree relatives.Biological Psychiatry, 24, 488–491.
- Cook, E. H., Leventhal, B. L., & Freedman, D. X. (1988b). Serotonin and measured intelligence.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18, 553–559.
- Folstein, S. E., & Rutter, M. L. (1988). Autism: Familial aggregation and genetic implications.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18, 3–29.
- Freedman, D. X., Belediuk, K., Belendiuk, G. W., & Crayton, J. W. (1981). Blood tryptophan metabolism in chronic schizophrenics.Archives of General Psychiatry, 38, 655–659.
- Geller, E., Yuwiler, A., Freeman, B. J., & Ritvo, E. (1988). Platelet size, number, and serotonin content in blood of autistic, childhood schizophrenic, and normal children.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18, 119–126.
- Hanley, H. G., Stahl, S. M., & Freedman, D. X. (1977). Hyperserotonemia and amine metabolites in autistic and retarded children.Archives of General Psychiatry, 34, 521–531.
- Huttenlocher, P. R. (1974). Dendritic development in neocortex of children with mental defect and infantile spasms.Neurology, 24, 203–210.
- Kuperman, S., Beeghly, J. H. L., Burns, T. L., & Tsai, L. Y. (1985). Serotonin relationships of autistic probands and their first-degree relatives.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 24, 186–190.
- Kuperman, S., Beeghly, J., Burns, T., & Tsai, L. (1987). Association of serotonin concentration to behavior and IQ in autistic children.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 17, 133–140.
- Lauder, J. M., & Krebs, H. (1978). Serotonin as a differentiation signal in early neurogenesis.Developmental Neuroscience, 1, 15–30.
- LeCouteur, A., Rutter, M., Lord, C., Rios, P., Robertson, S., Holdgrafer, M., & McLennan, J. (1989). Autistic diagnostic interview: A standardized investigator-based instrument.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19, 363–388.
- McKusick, V. A. (1983).Mendelian inheritance in man: Catalogs of autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, and X-linked phenotypes (6th ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Piven, J., Berthier, M. L., Starkstein, S. E., Nehme, E., Pearlson, G., & Folstein, S. (1990). Magnetic resonance imaging in autism: Evidence for a defect in cerebral cortical development.American Journal of Psychiatry, 147, 734–739.
- Ritvo, E. R., Spence, M. A., Freeman, B. J., Mason-Brothers, A., Mo, A., & Ritvo, A. M. (1985). Evidence for autosomal recessive inheritance in 46 families with multiplex incidences of autism.American Journal of Psychiatry, 142, 187–192.
- Schain, R. J., & Freedman, D. X. (1961). Studies on 5-hydroxyindole metabolism in autistic and other mentally retarded children.Journal of Pediatrics, 58, 315–320.
- Wolff, S., Narayan, S., & Moyes, B. (1988). Personality characteristics of parents of autistic children: A controlled study.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 29, 143–153.
- Yuwiler, A., & Freedman, D. X. (1987). Neurotransmitter research in autism. In E. Schopler & G. B. Mesibov (Eds.),Neurobiological issues in autism (pp. 263–294). New York: Plenum Press.
- Zaczek, R. & Coyle, J. T. (1982). Rapid and simple method for measuring biogenic amines and metabolites in brain homogenates by HPLC-electrochemical detection.Journal of Neural Transmission, 53, 1–5.
- Platelet serotonin, a possible marker for familial autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 51-59
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors