The apparent oxidation of NADH by whole cells of the methylotrophic bacterium Methylophilus methylotrophus
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Previous reports that whole cells of Methylophilus methylotrophus oxidase exogenous NADH have been investigated. Essentially identical rates of oxygen consumption were observed following the addition of methanol or NADH to whole cells. Both activities were inhibited by EDTA and hydroxylamine, but not by HQNO, and exhibited similar pH optima. Analyses of the reaction stoichiometry with NADH as substrate showed that the expected amount of oxygen was consumed, but also revealed acidification (instead of alkalinisation) and no oxidation of NADH. Further studies showed that commerical NADH is contaminated with ethanol which is oxidised to acetic acid by the low specificity methanol oxidase system present in this organism. The oxidation of exogenous NADH by whole cells of M. methylotrophus reported previously is therefore spurious.
- Anthony, C. (1982) The Biochemistry of methylotrophs. Academic Press, London and New York
- Anthony, C. & Zatman, L. J. (1964) The microbiol oxidation of methanol: Isolation and properties of Pseudomonas sp. M27. Biochem. J. 92: 609–614
- Anthony, C. & Zatman, L. J. (1965) The alcohol dehydrogenase of Pseudomonas sp. M27. Biochem. J. 96: 808–812
- Beardmore-Gray, M. & Anthony, C. (1984) Methanol: Cytochrome c oxidoreductase activity of methylotrophs. In: R. L.Crawford & R. S.Hanson (eds), Microbial Growth on C1 Compounds, pp. 97–105. American Society of Microbiology, Washington.
- Carver, M. A., Humphrey, K. M., Patchett, R. A. & jones, C. W. (1984) The effect of EDTA and related chelating agents on the oxidation of methanol by the methylotrophic bacterium Methylophilus methylotrophus Eur. J. Bioch. 138: 611–615
- Cross, A. R. & Anthony, C. (1980) The electron transport chains of the obligate methylotroph Methylophilus methylotrophus Biochem. J. 192: 429–439
- Dawson, M. J. (1982) Energy conservation in Methylophilus methylotrophus Ph. D. Thesis, University of Leicester.
- Dawson, M. J. & Jones, C. W. (1981) Respiration-linked proton translocation in the obligate methylotroph Methylophilus methylotrophus Biochem. J. 194: 915–924
- Duine, J. A., Frank, J. & DeRuiter, L. G. (1979) Isolation of a methanol dehydrogenase with a functional coupling to cytochrome c. J. Gen. Microbiol. 115: 523–526
- Duine, J. A., Frank, J. & Westerling, J. (1978) Purification and properties of methanol dehydrogenase from Hyphomicrobium X. Biochem. Biophys. Acta 524: 277–287
- Jones, C. W., Carver, M. A., Dawson, M. J. & Patchett, R. A. (1984) Respiration and ATP synthesis in Methylophilus methylotrophus. In: R. L.Crawford & R. S.Hanson (eds), Microbial Growth on C1 Compounds, pp. 134–140. American Society of Microbiology, Washington.
- Sperl, G. T., Forrest, H. S. & Gibson, D. T. (1974) Substrate specificity of the purified primary alcohol dehydrogenase from methanol-oxidising bacteria. J. Bacterial 118: 541–550
- White, D. C. & Sinclair, P. R. (1971) Branched electron transport systems in bacteria. Adv. Microbial. Physiol. 5: 173–211
- White, D. C. & Smith, L. (1962) Haematin enzymes of Haemophilus parainfluenzae J. Biol. Chem. 237: 1332–1336
- The apparent oxidation of NADH by whole cells of the methylotrophic bacterium Methylophilus methylotrophus
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek
Volume 52, Issue 5 , pp 387-392
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Methylophilus methylotrophus
- NADH oxidation
- Methanol oxidase
- Industry Sectors