The effect of defense program uncertainty on cost, schedule, and capital investment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Program instability, low levels of capital investment and uneconomical production rates have been recognized as significant problems in defense acquisition programs. In this paper, we use a dynamic programming model under uncertainty to investigate the relations among these problems. We show that capital investment and production rates that appear to be too low may be the result of cost minimizing responses by contractors to program instability. Attempts to change the level of capital investment or production rate on defense programs without regard to the nature of program instability may hinder efficient resource allocation.
- Able, A.B. (1983) Optimal Investment under Uncertainty. American Economic Review 73: pp. 228-233
- Bemis, J.C. 1981. A Model for Examining the Cost Implications of Production Rate. Concepts: The Journal of Defense Systems Acquisitions Management 84–94.
- Borsting, J.R. (1982) Decision-Making at the Top. Management Science 28: pp. 341-351
- Boyd, D.W., Phillips, R.L., Regulinski, S.G. (1982) A Model of Technology Selection by Cost Minimizing Producers. Management Science 28: pp. 418-424
- Cottle, R.L., Wallace, M.S. (1983) Economic Effects of Non-Binding Constraints. Journal of Industrial Economics 31: pp. 469-477
- Cox, L.W. and J.S. Gansler. 1981. Evaluating the Impact of Quantity, Rate, and Competition. Concepts: The Journal of Defense Systems Acquisition Management, 29–53.
- Final Report of the Task Force on Acquisition Improvement. The Department of Defense, Washington, D.C.
- Dietrich, J. K., Heckerman, D.G. (1980) Uncertain Inflation and the Demand for Capital. Economic Inquiry 18: pp. 461-471
- Fisher, I.N., Hall, G.R. (1967) Risk and the Aerospace Rate of Return. Rank Memorandum RM-5440-PR. The Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, California
- Frisch, F.A.P., Acher, D.D. (1981) Financing Defense Systems Programs. Concepts: The Journal of Defense Systems Acquisition Management 4: pp. 7-28
- Budget Reductions for FY1986: Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985. The General Accounting Office, Washington, D.C.
- Gulledge, T.R., Womer, N.K., Tarimicilar, M.M. (1985) A Discrete Dynamic Optimization Model for Made-to-Order Cost Analysis. Decision Sciences 16: pp. 73-90
- Gulledge, T.R., Womer, N.K. (1986) The Economics of Made-to-Order Production. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Hartman, R. (1972) The Effects of Price and Cost Uncertainty on Investment. Journal of Economic Theory 5: pp. 258-266
- Hillier, R.S., Shapiro, J.F. (1986) Optimal Capacity Expansion Planning When There Are Learning Effects. Management Science 32: pp. 1153-1163
- Large, J.P., Gillespie, K.M.S. (1977) A Critique of Aircraft Airframe Cost Models. The Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, California
- Muth, J.F. (1986) Search Theory and the Manufacturing Progress Function. Management Science 32: pp. 948-962
- Smith, L.L. (1976) An Investigation of Changes in Direct Labor Requirements Resulting from Changes in Airframe Production Rate. University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon
- Terasawa, K., Quirk, J., Womer, N. K. Turbulence, Cost Escalation, and Capital Intensity Bias in Defense Contracting. In: Gulledge, T. R., Litteral, L. A. eds. (1989) Cost Analysis Applications of Economics and Operations Research. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 97-116
- Weidenbaum, M.L. (1967) The Military/Space Market: Intersection of the Public and Private Sectors. Washington University, St. Louis
- Womer, N.K. (1984) Estimating Learning Curves from Aggregate Monthly Data. Management Science 30: pp. 982-992
- The effect of defense program uncertainty on cost, schedule, and capital investment
Journal of Productivity Analysis
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 193-228
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors