Empiric therapy directed against MRSA in patients admitted to the intensive care unit does not improve outcomes in community-acquired pneumonia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Infectious Diseases Society of America has recommended empiric therapy active against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) for all community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) patients admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU). However, there is sparse data to support this recommendation. The objective of our study was to ascertain if such a practice improves outcomes.
This study was a secondary, retrospective analysis of the Community-Acquired Pneumonia Organization (CAPO) international database on CAP. Outcomes in patients admitted to the ICU were compared according to empiric initiation of anti-MRSA therapy (vancomycin or linezolid) with standard ICU CAP therapy (MRSA therapy group) or standard therapy alone for ICU CAP (standard therapy group).
A total of 621 patients were identified with ICU pneumonia, of whom 57 patients had been initiated empirically on vancomycin or linezolid (MRSA therapy group). Patients of the MRSA therapy group had more comorbidities and were more severely ill than those of the standard therapy group. However, there were no statistical differences between the MRSA therapy group and standard therapy group for the primary outcomes of in-hospital and 28-day mortality, length of stay and time to clinical stability.
These findings suggest that empiric MRSA therapy in all ICU CAP patients may not improve outcomes and argue for clinician review of local epidemiologic trends on MRSA prevalence to ascertain the need for empiric MRSA coverage.
- Rubinstein E, Kollef M, Nathwani D. Pneumonia caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:S378–85. CrossRef
- Francis JS, Doherty MC, Lopatin U, et al. Severe community-onset pneumonia in healthy adults caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carrying the Panton–Valentine leukocidin genes. Clin Infect Dis. 1997;40:100–7. CrossRef
- Brulé N, Jaffré S, Chollet S, Germaud P, Chailleux E. Necrotizing pneumonia due to Staphylococcus aureus producing Panton-Valentine toxin. Rev Mal Respir. 2008;25:875–9. CrossRef
- Lobo L, Reed K, Wunderink R. Expanded clinical presentation of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia. Chest. 2010;138:130–6. CrossRef
- Salgado CD, Farr BM, Calfee DM. Community-acquired methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a meta-analysis of prevalence and risk factors. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36:131–9. CrossRef
- Faria NA, Oliveira DC, Westh H. Epidemiology of emerging methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Denmark: a nationwide study in a country with low prevalence of MRSA infection. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:1836–42. CrossRef
- Thomas R, Ferguson J, Coombs G, Gibson PG. Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia: a clinical audit. Respirology. 2011;16:926–31. CrossRef
- Li HT, Zhang TT, Huang J, Zhou YQ, Zhu JX, Wu BQ. Factors associated with the outcome of life-threatening necrotizing pneumonia due to community-acquired Staphylococcus aureus in adult and adolescent patients. Respiration. 2011;81:448–60. CrossRef
- Woodhead M, Blasi F, Ewig S, Garau J, et al. Guidelines for the management of adult lower respiratory tract infections-summary. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:1–24. CrossRef
- Liu C, Bayer A, Cosgrove SE, et al. Clinical practice guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults and children: executive summary. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:e18–55. CrossRef
- Fine MJ, Auble TE, Yealy DM, et al. A prediction rule to identify low-risk patients with community-acquired pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 1997;336:243–50. CrossRef
- Lim WS, van der Eerden MM, Laing R, et al. Defining community-acquired pneumonia severity on presentation to hospital: an international derivation and validation study. Thorax. 2003;58:377–82. CrossRef
- Imai K, van Dyk D. Causal inference with general treatment regimes: generalizing the propensity score. J Am Stat Assoc. 2004;99:854–66. CrossRef
- Zou G. A modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;159:702–6. CrossRef
- Restrepo MI, Mortensen EM, Velez JA, Frei C, Anzueto A. A comparative study of community-acquired pneumonia patients admitted to the ward and the ICU. Chest. 2008;133:610–7. CrossRef
- Luna CM, Famiglietti A, Absi R, et al. Community-acquired pneumonia: etiology, epidemiology, and outcome at a teaching hospital in Argentina. Chest. 2000;118:1344–54. CrossRef
- Frei CR, Attridge RT, Mortensen EM, et al. Guideline-concordant antibiotic use and survival among patients with community-acquired pneumonia admitted to the intensive care unit. Clin Ther. 2010;32:293–9. CrossRef
- Mandell LA, Wunderink RG, Anzueto A, et al. Infectious diseases society of America; American thoracic society. Infectious diseases society of America/American thoracic society guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:S27–72. CrossRef
- Bodí M, Rodríguez A, Solé-Violán J, et al. Community-acquired pneumonia intensive care units (CAPUCI) study investigators. Antibiotic prescription for community-acquired pneumonia in the intensive care unit: impact of adherence to infectious diseases society of America guidelines on survival. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;14:1709–16. CrossRef
- Soavi L, Signorini L, Stellini R, et al. Linezolid and clindamycin improve the outcome of severe, necrotizing pneumonia due to community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA). Infez Med. 2011;19:42–4.
- Empiric therapy directed against MRSA in patients admitted to the intensive care unit does not improve outcomes in community-acquired pneumonia
Volume 41, Issue 2 , pp 517-523
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Community-acquired pneumonia
- Intensive care
- Industry Sectors