A model-based method for organizing tasks in product development
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This research is aimed at structuring complex design projects in order to develop better products more quickly. We use a matrix representation to capture both the sequence of and the technical relationships among the many design tasks to be performed. These relationships define the “technical structure” of a project, which is then analyzed in order to find alternative sequences and/or definitions of the tasks. Such improved design procedures offer opportunities to speed development progress by streamlining the inter-task coordination. After using this technique to model design processes in several organizations, we have developed a design management strategy which focuses attention on the essential information transfer requirements of a technical project.
- C. Alexander.Notes on the Synthesis of Form, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, 1964.
- T. Allen.Managing the Flow of Technology: Technology Transfer and the Dissemination of Technological Information Within the R&D Organization, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1977.
- T. A. Black.A Systems Design Methodology Applied to Automotive Brake Design, MIT, Masters Thesis, 1990.
- D. M. Byrne and S. Taguchi. “The Taguchi Approach to Parameter Design”,Quality Progress. December 1987, pp. 19–26.
- K. B. Clark and T. Fujimoto.Product Development Performance: Strategy, Organization, and Management in the World Auto Industry, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 1991.
- J. W. Dean Jr and G. I. Susman. “Organizing for Manufacturable Design”,Harvard Business Review. January – February 1989, pp. 28–36.
- P. F. Drucker. “The Discipline of Innovation”,Harvard Business Review. May–June 1985, pp. 67–72.
- D. A. Gebala and S. D. Eppinger.Methods for Analyzing Design Procedures, ASME Conference on Design Theory and Methodology, Miami, September 1991, pp. 227–233.
- D. M. Himmelblau. “Decomposition of Large Scale Systems, Part 1: Systems Composed of Lumped Parameter Elements”,Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 21, 1966, pp. 425–438.
- E. Kehat and M. Shacham. “Chemical Process Simulation Programs, Part 2: Partitioning and Tearing of System Flowsheets”,Process Technology International. vol. 18, no. 3, March 1973, pp. 115–118.
- V. Krishnan, S. D. Eppinger and D. E. Whitney.A Model-Based Framework for Overlapping Product Development Activities, MIT Sloan School of Management Working Paper, November 1993.
- W. P. Ledet and D. M. Himmelblau. “Decomposition Procedures for the Solving of Large Scale Systems”,Advances in Chemical Engineering. vol. 8, 1970, pp. 185–254.
- D. A. Marca and C. L. McGowen.SADT: Structural Analysis and Design Technique, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
- D. A. Marshall.Dynamic Benchmarking: A Comparative Study of Automotive Suppliers, MIT, Masters Thesis, 1991.
- J. L. Nevins and D. E. Whitney.Concurrent Design of Products and Processes, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1989.
- S. M. Osborne.Product Development Cycle Time Characterization Through Modeling of Process Iteration, MIT, Masters Thesis, 1993.
- S. L. Padula, C. Sandridge, R. T. Haftka and J. L. Walsh. “Demonstration of Decomposition and Optimization in the Design of Experimental Space Systems”. In J.-F. M. Barthelemy, ed.Recent Advances in Multidisciplinary Analysis, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA, 1988, pp. 297–316.
- W. E. Pracht. “Gismo: A Visual Problem-Structuring and Knowledge-Organization Tool”,IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. vol. SMC-16, no. 2, March–April 1986, pp. 265–270.
- J. B. Quinn. “Managing Innovation: Controlled Chaos”,Harvard Business Review. May–June 1985, pp. 73–84.
- J. R. Rinderle and V. Krishnan. “Constraint Reasoning in Design”,International Conference on Design Theory and Methodology. Chicago, September 1990.
- J. R. Rinderle and N. P. Suh. “Measures of Functional Coupling in Design”,ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry. November 1982, pp. 383–388.
- J. L. Rogers.DeMAID: A Design Manager's Aide for Intelligent Decomposition User's Guide, NASA Technical Memorandum, 101575, March 1989.
- J. L. Rogers and S. L. Padula.An Intelligent Advisor for the Design Manager, NASA Technical Memorandum, 101558, February 1989.
- D. T. Ross. “Structured Analysis (SA): A Language for Communicating Ideas”,IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. vol. SE-3, no. 1, January 1977, pp. 16–34.
- H. A. Simon.The Sciences of the Artificial, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1970.
- R. P. Smith and S. D. Eppinger.A Predictive Model of Sequential Iteration in Engineering Design, MIT Sloan School of Management Working Paper, no. 3160, rev. November 1991.
- R. P. Smith and S. D. Eppinger.Identifying Controlling Features of Engineering Design Iteration, MIT Sloan School of Management Working Paper, no. 3348, rev. September 1992.
- J. Sobieszczanski-Sobieski.Multidisciplinary Optimization for Engineering Systems: Achievements and Potential, NASA Technical Memorandum 101566, March 1989.
- D. Sriram and M. L. Maher. “Representation and Use of Constraints in Structural Design”,AI in Engineering. Springer-Verlag, Southampton, UK, April 1986.
- D. V. Steward. “Partitioning and Tearing Systems of Equations”,SIAM Journal of Numerical Analysis. ser. B, vol. 2, no. 2, 1965, pp. 345–365.
- D. V. Steward. “The Design Structure System: A Method for Managing the Design of Complex Systems”,IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. vol. EM-28, no. 3, August 1981, pp. 71–74.
- D. V. Steward.Systems Analysis and Management: Structure, Strategy, and Design, Petrocelli Books, New York, 1981.
- N. P. Suh.The Principles of Design. Oxford University Press, New York, 1990.
- G. J. Sussman and G. L. Steele. “Constraints — A Language for Expressing Almost-Hierarchical Descriptions”,Artificial Intelligence. vol. 14, 1980, pp. 1–39.
- E. von Hippel.The Sources of Innovation, Oxford University Press, New York, 1988.
- J. N. Warfield. “Binary Matrices in System Modeling”,IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. vol. SMC-3, no. 5, September 1973, pp. 441–449.
- D. E. Whitney. “Manufacturing By Design”,Harvard Business Review. July–August 1988, pp. 83–91.
- D. E. Whitney and M. Milley. “CADSYS: A New Approach to Computer-Aided Design”,IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. vol. SMC-4, no. 1, January 1974, pp. 50–58.
- J. D. Wiest and F. K. Levy.A Management Guide to PERT/CPM, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 2nd edition, 1977.
- A model-based method for organizing tasks in product development
Research in Engineering Design
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 1-13
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Concurrent engineering
- Design management
- Design process improvement
- Industry Sectors