Enablers and Constrainers of Internationalization of Higher Education Institutions: A Case Study from Portugal
In this chapter, we describe a case of a situation from a higher education school from the biggest Portuguese Polytechnic that, despite all constraints, was able to advance with a project of internationalization about 10 years ago. Slowly, it was able to establish contacts, build a network, and promote its courses, experience, and resources internationally. There were difficulties in this process, but the institution always managed to overcome them. Using a qualitative methodology – interviews with the key persons in this process – it was possible to identify the enablers and constrainers of this process. Lessons learned can help other institutions plan and manage an internationalization process, as well as overcome the difficulties such process entails.
KeywordsCase study Portugal Internationalization Higher education Enabling and constraining factors
- Ardakani, Fatemeh, Mohammad Hossein Yarmohammadian, Ahamd Ali Foroughi Abari, and Koroush Fathi. 2011. Internationalization of higher education systems. WCES 2011. Procedia Social and Bahavioral Sciences 15: 1690–1695.Google Scholar
- Bordean, Ovidiu-Nicolae, and Anca Borza. 2013. Internationalization of higher education institutions: The case of Romania. In: Lumen International Conference Logos Universality Mentality Education Novelty (LUMEN 2013). Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 92, 98–103.Google Scholar
- Brandenburg, Uwe, and Hans De Wit. 2011. The end of internationalization. International Higher Education 62 (Winter): 15–17. http://ejournals.bc.edu/ojs/index.php/ihe/article/view/8533/7667. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- CCISP. s/n. Institutos, Escolas e Cursos. http://www.ccisp.pt/index.php/pt/membros
- Decree-Law 62/2007 of 10th September. Juridic regime of higher education institutions (Regime jurídico das instituições de ensino superior). Diário da República, 1.a série – Nº 174 – 10th Sept, pp. 6358–6389.Google Scholar
- EHEA. 1999. The Bologna declaration of 19 June 1999. http://www.magna-charta.org/resources/files/text-of-the-bologna-declaration. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- EHEA. 2014. Bologna process- European higher education area. http://www.ehea.info/article-details.aspx?ArticleId=3. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Erasmus. 2016a. Erasmus Lisbon. http://erasmusu.com/en/erasmus-lisbon/erasmus-experiences
- Erasmus. 2016b. Erasmus Porto. http://erasmusu.com/en/erasmus-porto/erasmus-experiences
- European Commission. 2013. The European higher education in the world. COM(2013) 499 final, Brussels 11 July. http://www.dges.mctes.pt/NR/rdonlyres/658FB04A-909D-4D52-A83D-21A2AC4F2D38/8094/Ensino_Superior_Europeu_Mundo.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- European Commission. 2014a. The Erasmus impact study. http://ec.europa.eu/education/library/study/2014/erasmus-impact_en.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- European Commission. 2014b. Education and training, 2014. http://eairaww.websites.xs4all.nl/forum/krems/PDF/1566.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- European Commission. 2016. EU activities in the field of higher education. http://ec.europa.eu/education/policy/higher-education/index_en.htm. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Eurostat, 2016. Mobility of students in Europe. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/tgm/table.do?tab=table&init=1&plugin=1&language=en&pcode=tps00064. Accessed 13 Oct 2017.
- Executive Order no 199-B/2016 of 20th July. Diário da República, 1ª série, n° 138, pp. 2388(9)–2388(24) https://dre.pt/application/conteudo/75010296. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- FENPROF. 2012. O sistema de ensino em Portugal. http://www.fenprof.pt/download/fenprof/sm_doc/mid_132/doc_6444/anexos/sesp_parte_i.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Fulbright. 2010. Education in Portugal. http://www.fulbright.pt/articles/portuguese-system-of-education/education-in-portugal. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Hawawini, Gabriel. 2011. The internationalization of higher education institutions: A critical review and a radical proposal. https://www.insead.edu/facultyresearch/research/doc.cfm?did=48726. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Hristova, Snezhana, Ilijana Petrovska, and Makedonka Dimitrova. 2013. Internationalization in higher education: Trends and opportunities. Analele Universitati “Eftimie Murgu” Resita. Fascicola II. Studi Economice, Vol. 2, 90–100.Google Scholar
- Instituto Politécnico do Porto. 2016, agosto 8. Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre. https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Instituto_Polit%C3%A9cnico_do_Porto&oldid=46394600. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Knight, Jane. 1994. Internationalisations: Elements and checkpoints. Research monograph, no. 7. Ottawa: Canadian Bureau for International Education.Google Scholar
- Knight, Jane. 2008. Higher education in turmoil. The changing world of internationalization. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.Google Scholar
- Knight, Jane, and Hans de Wit. 1997. Internationalization of higher education in Asia Pacific countries. Amsterdam: European Association for International Education Publications.Google Scholar
- Mourato, Joaquim. 2014. O ensino superior politécnico em Portugal: presente e futuro. https://digitalis.uc.pt/pt-pt/artigo/o_ensino_superior_polit%C3%A9cnico_em_ portugal_presente_e_futuro. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- OECD. 2012. Trends in the number of foreign students enrolled outside their country of origin, by destination region and origin (2000 to 2010). In Education at a glance 2012. Paris: OECD Publishing, Table C4.6.Google Scholar
- Oxford University. 2015. Trends in higher education. https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/International%20Trends%20in%20Higher%20Education%202015.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Portuguese Government. 2014. Uma estratégia para a internacionalização do ensino superior português – fundamentação e recomendações. http://www.portugal.gov.pt/media/1545745/201450926%20mec%20Internacionalizacao%20Ensino%20Superior.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Robson, S. 2011. Internationalization: a transformative agenda for higher education? Teachers and Teaching 17:(6), 619–630.Google Scholar
- Sarmento, Anabela Mesquita. 2004. Impact of collaborative systems in organizations – Case studies concerning the adoption and use of workflow systems. PhD thesis, Minho University.Google Scholar
- Sin, Cristina, Orlanda Tavares, and Guy Neave. 2015. Portugal – Shaping student mobility, grappling with adversity. EAIR 37th Annual Forum, Krems. http://eairaww.websites.xs4all.nl/forum/krems/PDF/1566.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- Tsuruta, Y. 2013. The knowledge society and the internationalization of Japanese higher education. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 33:(2), 140–155.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. 2014. Global flow of tertiary-level students. http://www.uis.unesco.org/Education/Pages/international-student-flow-viz.aspx. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.
- University of Oxford. 2015. International trends in higher education 2015. https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/International%20Trends%20in%20Higher%20Education%202015.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2016.