Isolating Urinary Extracellular Vesicles as Biomarkers for Diabetic Disease
Extracellular vesicles are lipid bilayer enclosed structures secreted by all cell types. Their cargo includes proteins, lipids, RNAs, and DNA, which reflect the physiological state of their cells of origin. Recently, urinary extracellular vesicles have emerged as a valuable source of biomarkers for kidney and systemic disease.
Unfortunately, all existing methods for extracellular vesicle isolation from urine are time consuming and/or expensive. Thus, they are not adaptable to large-scale studies and unsuitable for clinical use without special equipment in the laboratory. Recently, our group has devised a set of new, quick, simple, and inexpensive techniques, based on hydrostatic filtration dialysis (HFD) of urine extremely suitable for diagnostic purposes. This novel approach represents a great potential for new diagnostics and understanding disease biology in general and brings the biomarker detection to the scope of all laboratories.
Key wordsUrinary extracellular vesicle isolation Hydrostatic filtration dialysis Electron microscopy Transcriptomic Proteomics
- 1.Kourembanas S (2015) Exosomes: vehicles of intercellular signaling, biomarkers, and vectors of cell therapy. Annu Rev Physiol 77:13–27. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-physiol-021014-071641CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Lotvall J, Hill AF, Hochberg F, Buzas EI, Di Vizio D, Gardiner C, Gho YS, Kurochkin IV, Mathivanan S, Quesenberry P, Sahoo S, Tahara H, Wauben MH, Witwer KW, Thery C (2014) Minimal experimental requirements for definition of extracellular vesicles and their functions: a position statement from the International Society for Extracellular Vesicles. J Extracell Vesicles 3:26913. https://doi.org/10.3402/jev.v3.26913CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Liu X, Chinello C, Musante L, Cazzaniga M, Tataruch D, Calzaferri G, James Smith A, De Sio G, Magni F, Zou H, Holthofer H (2015) Intraluminal proteome and peptidome of human urinary extracellular vesicles. Proteomics Clin Appl 9(5-6):568–573. https://doi.org/10.1002/prca.201400085CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Puhka M, Takatalo M, Nordberg ME, Valkonen S, Nandania J, Aatonen M, Yliperttula M, Laitinen S, Velagapudi V, Mirtti T, Kallioniemi O, Rannikko A, Siljander PR, Af Hallstrom TM (2017) Metabolomic profiling of extracellular vesicles and alternative normalization methods reveal enriched metabolites and strategies to study prostate cancer-related changes. Theranostics 7(16):3824–3841. https://doi.org/10.7150/thno.19890CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Colombo M, Raposo G, Thery C (2014) Biogenesis, secretion, and intercellular interactions of exosomes and other extracellular vesicles. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 30:255–289. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-cellbio-101512-122326CrossRefGoogle Scholar