Forms-based Service Composition
In many cases, it is not cost effective to automate business processes which affect a small number of people and/or change frequently. We present a novel approach for enabling domain experts to model and deploy such processes from their respective domain as Web service compositions. The approach is based on user-editable service naming, a graphical composition language where Web services are represented as forms, a targeted restriction of control flow expressivity, automated process verification mechanisms, and code generation for executing orchestrations. A Web-based service composition prototype implements this approach, including a WS-BPEL code generator.
KeywordsDomain Expert Service Composition Business Process Management Process Instance Output Message
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cypher, A., Dontcheva, M., Lau, T., Nichols, J. (eds.): No Code Required - Giving Users Tools to Transform the Web. Morgan Kaufmann (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Ko, A.J., Myers, B.A., Aung, H.H.: Six learning barriers in end-user programming systems. In: VLHCC 2004, pp. 199–206 (2004) Google Scholar
- 7.Leshed, G., Haber, E., Matthews, T., Lau, T.: CoScripter: Automating & Sharing How-To Knowledge in the Enterprise. CHI Letters: Human Factors in Computing Systems 10(1), 1719–1728 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Oracle White Paper. State of the Business Process Management Market (August 2008), http://tinyurl.com/3c4u436 (accessed November 20, 2009)
- 10.Pettey, C., Goasdu, L.: Gartner Reveals Five Business Process Management Predictions for 2010 and Beyond. Gartner Press Release (January 13, 2010), http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1278415 (accessed September 2, 2010)
- 12.Richardson, C., Vollmer, K., Clair, C.L., Moore, C., Vitti, R.: Business Process Management Suites, Q3 2009 – The Need For Increased Business Agility Drives BPM Adoption. Forrester TechRadar For BP & A Pros (August 13, 2009) Google Scholar
- 13.Robertson, C., Rabhi, F., Peat, M.: Consumer Information Systems and Relationship Management: Design, Implementation and Use. In: A Service-Oriented Approach towards Real Time Financial News Analysis. IGI Global (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Schurter, T.: BPM State of the Nation 2009. bpm.com, http://www.bpm.com/bpm-state-of-the-nation-2009.html (accessed November 25, 2009)
- 15.Stoitsev, T.: End-User Driven Business Process Composition. PhD thesis, TU Darmstadt, Fachbereich Informatik, Telekooperation (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Weber, I., Paik, H., Benatallah, B., Gong, Z., Zheng, L., Vorwerk, C.: FormSys: Form-processing Web Services. In: WWW 2010: Proceedings of the 19th International World Wide Web Conference, Demo Track (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Wong, J., Hong, J.: What Do We “Mashup” When We Make Mashups? In: WEUSE 2008, pp. 35–39 (May 2008)Google Scholar