Hot Electron Effects in Microstructures
A series of new devices generically called “hot electron transistors” is based on the idea of improving the device performance by injecting fast electrons into thin base regions. We present here a theoretical study, based on a Monte Carlo simulation, of the characteristic energy and momentum losses of hot electrons injected into a doped region, as found for example in the planar doped barrier (PDB) and in the tunneling hot electron transfer amplifier (THETA) devices. The interaction between the injected electrons and the background of cold carriers is shown to be a very effective channel of dissipation. The full self-consistent simulation of the THETA device is also presented.
KeywordsRandom Phase Approximation Direct Monte Carlo Simulation Resonant Tunneling Pauli Exclusion Principle Momentum Loss
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.M. A. Hollis, S. C. Palmateer, L. F. Eastmann, H. V. Dandekar, and P. M. Smith, IEEE Electron Dev. Lett., EDL4, 440 (1983)Google Scholar
- 9.P. Lugli, Ph. D. Dissertation, Colorado State University (1985)Google Scholar
- 10.S.E. Kumenov, and V.I. Perel, Sov. Phys. Semicon. 16, 1982 (1982)Google Scholar
- 11.B.I. Davidov, in Plasma Physics and the Problem of Controlled Thermonuclear Reactions, vol. 1, Izd. AN SSR (1958)Google Scholar
- 12.H. Ehrenreich, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 8, 1996 (1965)Google Scholar
- 14.P.A. Wolf, in Proc. Int. Conf. Light Scatt. Spectra Solids, ( Speinger, Berlin ), 1969Google Scholar
- 16.P.Lugli and D.K.Ferry, IEEE El.Dev.Lett. EDL6, 25 (1985)Google Scholar
- 17.J. Y. Tang, and K. Hess, IEEE Trans. Electron Dev. ED-29, 1906 (1982)Google Scholar
- 18.F. Antonelli, IBM European Center for Scientific and Engineering Computing Technical Report (1987)Google Scholar
- 19.F. Antonelli, and P. Lugli, in Proc. of XVII European Solid State Device Research Conference ESSDERC87, Eds. P. Calzolari and G. Soncini, p. 177, Tecnoprint, Bologna (1987)Google Scholar
- 21.P. Lugli, and D. K. Ferry, IEEE Trans. Electron Dev. ED-6, 25 (1985)Google Scholar