Methods for the Isolation and Structural Characterization of Hepatocyte Gap Junctions
Electron microscopy has revealed several different kinds of morphologically distinguishable plasma membrane modifications which are involved in cell-cell interactions. In general, these specialized sites at the cell surface, collectively called intercellular junctions, may be divided into three broad functional categories: (1) those involved in intercellular adhesion, e.g., the desmosome, (2) those involved in regulating transepithelial permeability, e.g., the zonula occludens, and (3) those involved in intercellular communication, e.g., the chemical synapse and the gap junction.
KeywordsTight Junction Intercellular Junction Hexagonal Array Liver Plasma Membrane Plasma Membrane Fraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benedetti, E. L., and Emmelot, P., 1968a, Structure and function of membranes isolated from liver, in: The Membranes (A. J. Dalton, and F. Haguenau, eds.), p. 33, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Berry, M. N., and Friend, D. S., 1969, High-yield preparation of isolated rat liver parenchymal cells: A biochemical and fine structural study, J. Bell Biol. 43:506.Google Scholar
- Bizzozero, G., 1870, Osservazioni sulla struttura degli epitheli pavimentose stratificati, Ren. Ist. Lombardo Sci. Lett. Ser. II 3:675.Google Scholar
- Gilula, N. B., 1971, Studies on the septate junction, Ph.D. thesis, University of California, Berkeley.Google Scholar
- Goodenough, D. A., 1970, The ultrastructure and biochemistry of hepatic intercellular junctions, Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University.Google Scholar
- Goodenough, D. A., and Gilula, N. B., 1972, Cell junctions and intercellular communication, in: Membranes and Viruses in Immunopathology (S. B. Day and R. A. Good, eds.), pp. 155–168, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Karnovsky, M. J., 1965, A formaldehyde-glutaraldehyde fixative of high osmolarity for use in electron microscopy, J. Cell Biol. 27:137a.Google Scholar
- Kreutziger, G. O., 1968, Freeze-etching of intercellular junctions of mouse liver, Proc. Electron Microsc. Soc. Am. 26:234.Google Scholar
- Porter, K. R., 1954, Observations on the submicroscopic structure of animal epidermis, Anat. Rec. 118:433.Google Scholar
- Schaffer, J., 1927, Epithelgewebe in: Handbuch der mikroskopischen Anatomie des Menschen, Vol. 2(1) (W. von Mollendorff, ed.), p. 35, Verlag von Julius Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Staehelin, L. A., 1974, Structure and function of intercellular junctions, Ann. Rev. Cytol. (in press).Google Scholar