Clinical Investigation of Lithium Therapy in Acute Leukemia
It has been known for a long time that patients receiving lithium carbonate (Li2CO3 for manic-depressive psychosis develop a significant polymorphonuclear leukocytosis (Bille and Plum, 1955; Shopsin et al., 1971). Moreover, in vitro studies have demonstrated a stimulatory effect of Li2CO3 on granulopoiesis (Tisman et al., 1973; Harker et al., 1975) and have suggested that Li2CO3 acts either by increasing colony stimulating factor (CSF) production by mononuclear cells (Harker et al., 1977) or potentiating the action of CSF (Morley and Galbraith, 1978). The exact mechanism has yet to be clarified by extended in vivo and in vitro studies, although the present data support the evidence for a multilevel action.
KeywordsAcute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Aplastic Anemia Acute Leukemia Disseminate Intravascular Coagulation Hairy Cell Leukemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrett, A.J., Longhurst, P.A., Newton, K.A., and Humble, J.B., 1976, Treatment of a patient with aplastic anemia with lithium carbonate, Exp. Hematol. 4:42.Google Scholar
- Bille, M., and Plum, CM., 1955, Komplikationer ved lithium-behandling, Vgeskrift for Laeger 117:293.Google Scholar
- Charron, D., 1977, Classification anatomo-clinique de la leucemie lymphoide chronique. Signification pronostique, Thesis Medicine, Paris University.Google Scholar
- Harker, G.W., Rothstein, G., Clarkson, D.W., and Athens, J.W., 1975, Stimulation of neutrophil production by lithium, Clin. Res. 23:103A.Google Scholar
- Jacquillat, D., Weil, M., Auclerc, M.F., Maral, R., Izrael, V., and Bernard, J., 1978, Clinical activity of a new anthracycline derivative in malignant diseases, Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 19:362.Google Scholar
- Marie, J.P., Degos, L., and Flandrin, G., 1977, Hairy cell leukemia and tuberculosis, New Eng. J. Med. 297:1354.Google Scholar
- Morley, D.C. and Galbraith, P.R., 1978, Effect of lithium on granulopoiesis in culture, Canad. Med. Assn. J. 118:288.Google Scholar
- Shopsin, B., Friedman, R., and Gershon, S., 1971, Lithium and leukocytosis, Clin. Pharm. and Therapeutics 12:923.Google Scholar
- Tisman, G., 1974, Lithium carbonate protection against drug induced leukopenia in lymphosarcoma patients, IRCS 2:1509.Google Scholar