Hypnosis in the Treatment of a Case of Guillain-Barre’s Disease
The authors report on the treatment of a patient exhibiting sensory-motor disturbances of Guillain-Barré’s disease, which had begun three years earlier.
Hypnosis was an important stage in treatment. The patient was helped to regain his former behavioral patterns through several sessions of both spontaneous and induced regression. These patterns, imprinted with considerable force in every life-situation, had been completely erased by the neurological disorder. They were restored and positively extended, making use of comparisons between elements which emerged under hypnosis and elements of present conditions of life. During treatment a considerable improvement in sensitivity and movement was also noted.
KeywordsSensory Function Sensory Experience Psychosomatic Medicine Nocturnal Enuresis Sensory Disturbance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antonelli, F., 1970, “Elementi di Psicosomatica,” Rizzoli, Milano.Google Scholar
- Erickson, M. H., 1978, “Le Nuove vie Dell’ipnosi,” Astrolabio, Roma.Google Scholar
- Gambacciani, A., 1980, Psicoterapia e sclerosi multipla, Medicina Psicosomatica, 25:473–478.Google Scholar
- Gros, N., Pajntar, M., and Acimovic-Janezic, R., 1980, Re-education of neuromuscular system in hemiparetic patients by means of hypnosis, in: “Hypnosis in Psychotherapy and Psychosomatic Medicine,” M. Pajntar, E. Roskar, M. Lavoic, eds., (Proceedings of the 2nd European Congress of Hypnosis), Dubrovnik, 249–253.Google Scholar
- Guantieri, G., 1973, “L’ipnosi”, Rizzoli, Milano.Google Scholar
- Jores, A., 1965, “Trattato di Medicina Psicosomatica,” Universo, Firenze.Google Scholar
- Levine, M., Kabat, H., Knott, M., and Voss, D., 1954, Relaxation of spasticity by physiological techniques, Arch.Phys.Med.Rehab., 35–4:214–223.Google Scholar
- Pajntar, M., Roskar, E., Vodornik, L., Gros, N., and Rudel, D., 1980, Further experience with hypnosis in hemiparetic patients, in: “Hypnosis in Psychotherapy and Psychosomatic Medicine,” M. Pajntar, E. Roskar and M. Lavric, eds., (Proceedings of the 2nd European Congress of Hypnosis), Dubrovnik, 242–248.Google Scholar
- Pavesi, P. M. A., and Mosconi, P. G., 1974, “Tecniche e Applicazioni Dell’ipnosi Medica,” Piccin, Padova.Google Scholar
- Weiss, E., and English, O. S., 1950, “Medicina Psicosomatica,” Astrolabio, Roma.Google Scholar