An Investigation into Audiotaped Self-Hypnosis Training in Pregnancy and Labor
Fifty Primigravidae were approached by their obstetricians, and invited to participate in a study using self-hypnosis training in pregnancy and labor, as a relaxation and pain-relief technique. Their agreement was followed by random selection into experimental and control groups. The group was offered audiotaped self-hypnosis training for the six weeks prior to their expected dates of delivery. The control group proceeded in the usual manner. Both groups were interviewed post partum, by a worker whose voice was unknown to the subjects.
Hypotheses tested related to the expected differences in duration of labor, chemoanalgesia, and in the mother’s subjective experience of childbirth. These results, with intercorrelations among other variables, are discussed. Recommendations are made, that audio-taped self-hypnosis training represents a viable cost-effective adjunct in obstetric practice.
KeywordsObstetric Practice Parturient Woman Trained Patient Hypnotic Analgesia Chemical Anoxia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramson, D., and Heron, W. T., 1950, An objective evaluation of hypnosis in obstetrics, Am.J.Obstec.Gynecol., 59:1069–1074.Google Scholar
- August, R. V., 1960, Obstetric hypnoanesthesia, Am.J.Obstec.Gynecol., 79:1131–1138.Google Scholar
- Callann, T. D., 1961, Can hypnosis be used routinely in obstetrics? Rocky Mount.med.J., 58:28–30.Google Scholar
- De Lee, S. T., and Greenhill, J. P., 1939, Yearbook of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chicago, Yearbook, 164.Google Scholar
- Hilgard, E. R., and Hilgard, J. R., 1975, Hypnosis in Relief of Pain, Los Altos, California, Kaufman.Google Scholar
- Kroger, W. S., and De Lee, S. T., 1943, The use of the hypnoidal state as an amnesic, analgesic and anesthetic agent in obstetrics, Am.J.Obstet.Gynec., 43:655–661.Google Scholar
- Kroger, W. S., and Freed, S. C., 1951, Psychosomatic Gynaecology, Philadelphia, Saunders.Google Scholar
- Mody, N. V., 1960, Report on twenty cases delivered under hypnotism, J.Obstet.Gynec.,India, 10:3–8.Google Scholar
- Mosconi, G., and Starcich, B., 1961, Preparation for childbirth with hypnosis, Rev.Latin Amer.Hypn.Clin., 2:29–36.Google Scholar
- Schultze-Rhonof, F., 1922, Zentralbl.f.Gynäk, 46:247.Google Scholar