Sol-Gel Synthesis of Nanostructured TiO2 Films for Water Purification
Sol gel method is an important technology for the synthesis of TiO2 films for water treatment. In this chapter, we will discuss the critical issues on the sol gel synthesis of TiO2 films with high photocatalytic activity and good long-term mechanical stability. The aspects will mainly include the following: (1) design of film structure for increasing the number of electron-hole pairs generated and number of hydroxyl radicals produced, (2) tailor-design of the film pore structure for increasing adsorption of treated contaminants and enhancing mass transfer between the contaminants and catalyst active sites, and (3) improvements in the long-term mechanical stability of the TiO2 films by achieving good adhesion of immobilized TiO2 films on the support (substrate). Important achievements of our research works related to sol gel synthesis of TiO2 films and membranes and the application of these TiO2 photocatalysts in promising photocatalytic reactors are summarized. Current challenges and future directions on the sol gel synthesis of TiO2 films for water purification are also discussed.
KeywordsSol-gel method titanium dioxide photocatalysis immobilized TiO2 films water purification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 15.U.S. EPA, Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water, MTBE in Drinking Water. http://www.epa.gov/safewater/mtbe.html (March 2001).
- 16.AWWA. Water Quality and Treatment, A Handbook of Community Water Supplies, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- 18.U.S. EPA, Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water, MTBE in Drinking Water. http://www.epa.gov/safewater/mtbe.html (March 2001).
- 27.A. Fujishima, K. Hashimoto and T. Watanabe. TiO2 Photocatalysis—Fundamentals and Applications, BKC, Tokyo, Japan (1999).Google Scholar
- 37.Y. J. Chen, E. Stathatos and D. D. Dionysiou. Surf. and Coatings Technol. 2008 (in press). Corrected Proof. Available online 30 August 2007.Google Scholar
- 40.Y. J. Chen and D. D. Dionysiou. Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 2008(in press). Accepted manu- script. Available online 22 November 2007.Google Scholar