Addresses complementary multidisciplinary research and innovation domains for the implementation of the factory of the future
Focuses both on research quality/novelty and on its industrial application
Presents hardware/software prototypes as the main outcome of the related industrial research
Table of contents (21 chapters)
About this book
2) Factories for sustainable production, asking for energy efficiency, low environmental impact products and processes, new de-production logics, sustainable logistics.
3) Factories for the People who need new kinds of interactions between production processes, machines, and human beings to offer a more comfortable and stimulating working environment.
4) Factories for customized products that will be more and more tailored to the final user’s needs and sold at cost-effective prices.
5) High performance factories to yield the due production while minimizing the inefficiencies caused by failures, management problems, maintenance.
This books is primarily targeted to academic researchers and industrial practitioners in the manufacturing domain.
- digital manufacturing
- manufacturing sustainability
- smart factories
- production systems
- production technology
Editors and Affiliations
Director of the Italian Flagship Project “Factories of the Future”, Direttore del Progetto Bandiera “La Fabbrica del Futuro”, CNR - National Research Council of Italy, Rome, Italy
CNR-STIIMA, Istituto di Sistemi e Tecnologie Industriali Intelligenti per il Manifatturiero Avanzato, Milan, Italy
Giacomo Copani, Walter Terkaj
About the editors
He has published more than 150 papers in international journals and international conferences. He has been Associate Editor of the “SME Journal of Manufacturing Systems”; he is currently member of the Editorial Board of the “CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology (CIRP-JMST)” and member of the Editorial Board of the “CIRP Annals”. He is Editor in Chief of “CIRP Encyclopedia of Production Engineering”.
He is “Fellow” of the CIRP (the International Academy for Production Engineering) and Member of the Directory Board of AITEM Italian Association for Manufacturing (Associazione Italiana di Tecnologia Meccanica); he has been visiting scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
During his career he has taught more than 40 courses (10 credits each) including “Manufacturing”, “Integrated Production Systems” at Bachelor level, “Reconfigurable manufacturing systems” “Quality Management” at Master level in the degree programs of “Industrial Engineering” and “Mechanical Engineering”. During the last ten years, he has been teaching “Research Management” offered to all the PhD students of Politecnico di Milano.
Book Title: Factories of the Future
Book Subtitle: The Italian Flagship Initiative
Editors: Tullio Tolio, Giacomo Copani, Walter Terkaj
Publisher: Springer Cham
eBook Packages: Engineering, Engineering (R0)
Copyright Information: The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2019
License: CC BY
Hardcover ISBN: 978-3-319-94357-2Published: 25 February 2019
eBook ISBN: 978-3-319-94358-9Published: 14 February 2019
Edition Number: 1
Number of Pages: XI, 494
Number of Illustrations: 32 b/w illustrations, 136 illustrations in colour