Table of contents
Theoretical and/or Conceptual Frameworks for Integrating History and Epistemology of Mathematics in Mathematics Education
Courses and/or Didactical Material: Design, Implementation and Evaluation
Empirical Investigations on Implementing History and Epistemology in Mathematics Education
Original Historical Sources in Teaching and Learning of and About Mathematics
About this book
This book includes 18 peer-reviewed papers from nine countries, originally presented in a shorter form at TSG 25 The Role of History of Mathematics in Mathematics Education, as part of ICME-13 during. It also features an introductory chapter, by its co-editors, on the structure and main points of the book with an outline of recent developments in exploring the role of history and epistemology in mathematics education. It serves as a valuable contribution in this domain, by making reports on recent developments in this field available to the international educational community, with a special focus on relevant research results since 2000.
The 18 chapters of the book are divided into five interrelated parts that underlie the central issues of research in this domain:
1. Theoretical and conceptual frameworks for integrating history and epistemology in mathematics in mathematics education;
2. Courses and didactical material: Design, implementation and evaluation;
3. Empirical investigations on implementing history and epistemology in mathematics education;
4. Original historical sources in teaching and learning of and about mathematics;
5. History and epistemology of mathematics: Interdisciplinary teaching and sociocultural aspects.
This book covers all levels of education, from primary school to tertiary education, with a particular focus on teacher education. Additionally, each chapter refers to and/or is based on empirical research, in order to support, illuminate, clarify and evaluate key issues, main questions, and conjectured theses raised by the authors or in the literature on the basis of historical-epistemological or didactical-cognitive arguments.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-73924-3
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Education
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-73923-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-73924-3
- Series Print ISSN 2520-8322
- Series Online ISSN 2520-8330
- About this book