Testing Timed Nondeterministic Finite State Machines with the Guaranteed Fault Coverage
- 1 Downloads
The behavior of many systems can be properly described by taking into account time constraints, and this motivates the adaptation of existing Finite State Machine (FSM)-based test derivation methods to timed models. In this paper, we propose a method for deriving conformance tests with the guaranteed fault coverage for a complete possibly nondeterministic FSM with a single clock; such Timed FSMs (TFSMs) are widely used when describing the behavior of software and digital devices. The fault domain contains every complete TFSM with the known upper bounds on the number of states and finite boundary of input time guards. The proposed method is carried out by using an appropriate FSM abstraction of the given TFSM; the test is derived against an FSM abstraction and contains timed input sequences. Shorter test suites can be derived for a restricted fault domain, for instance, for the case when the smallest duration of an input time guard is larger than two. Moreover, the obtained test suites can be reduced while preserving the completeness, when all input time guards of the specification and an implementation under test are right closed (or all guards are left-closed). Experiments are conducted to study the length of test suites constructed by different methods.
KeywordsTimed Finite State Machine non-deterministic Timed Finite State Machine test derivation fault domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.El-Fakih, K., Yevtushenko, N., and Fouchal, H., Testing timed finite state machines with guaranteed fault coverage, Proceedings of the 21st IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference on Testing of Software and Communication Systems and 9th International FATES Workshop, 2009, pp. 66–80Google Scholar
- 8.Bresolin, D., El-Fakih, K., Villa, T., and Yevtushenko, N., Deterministic timed finite state machines: Equivalence checking and expressive power, Int. Conf. GANDALF, 2014, pp. 203–216Google Scholar
- 9.Petrenko, A., Yevtushenko, N., and Bochmann, G.V., Fault models for testing in context, FORTE, 1996, pp. 163–178Google Scholar
- 11.Petrenko, A. and Yevtushenko, N., Adaptive testing of deterministic implementations specified by nondeterministic FSMs, Proc. ICTSS, 2011, pp. 162–178Google Scholar
- 12.Tvardovskii, A. and Yevtushenko, N., Synthesis complete test suite for nondeterministic finite state machines with time guards, Russ. Phys. J., 2015, vol. 58, no. 11/2, pp. 107–110.Google Scholar