Effects of different Rht-B1b, Rht-D1b and Rht-B1c dwarfing genes on agronomic characteristics in wheat
The value of different dwarfing genes in winter wheat breeding was studied using 6 near-isogenic lines carrying different Rht dwarfing genes over three years experiment. Results showed that both the Rht-B1b and Rht-D1b semi-dwarfing genes had significantly positive effects on kernel number and grain weight per spike, and had significantly negative effects on 1000-grain weight comparing to the tall line (Rht-B1a). The Rht-B1c dwarfing gene had a significantly negative effect on kernel number per spike, and had positive effect on 1000-grain weight. The combination of the Rht-D1b and Rht-B1c gene showed significantly negative effect on yield components. All of these 5 dwarfing or semi-dwarfing genotypes mentioned above had significantly negative effect on plant height and no significantly effect on the area of flag leaf, spikelets per spike and spike length.
Key wordsWheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Dwarfing gene Near-isogenic line (NILs) Agronomic characteristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gale MD. and Youssefian S. 1985: Dwarfing genes in wheat. Plant Breeding program Reviews 1, 1–35.Google Scholar
- Hoogendorn J. and Gale MD. 1988: The effect of dwarfing genes on heat tolerance in CIMMYT germplasm. In: Cereal Breeding Related to Integrated Cereal Production. Wageningen 61–66.Google Scholar
- Li XP, Jiang CZ and Liu HL. 1995: Effect of the Rht1, Rht2 and Rht3 genes on spring wheat agronomic characteristics. Journal of Hebei Agrotechnical teachers College 9(3), 36–41.Google Scholar
- Li XP, Pang CM, Wu JM, Worland AJ and Gale MD. 1999: Analysises of Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Rht Dwarfing Genes in Winter Wheat Breeding. Acta Agriculture Boreali-Sinica 14(3), 1–4.Google Scholar
- Snape. JW. and Parker BB. 1984: The effects of the Norin 10 dwarfing gene, Rht2, on yield biomass relationship in wheat (Triticum asetivum). In: Semi-dwarf cereal mutants and their use in crossing breeding. II, 71–77.Google Scholar
- Wang S, Zhao YH. 1995: Breeding and evaluation of the wheat line carrying the Rht3 dwarfing gene. Agriculture sciences of Jiangsu 5, 16–17.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.