Measuring of spatio-temporal characteristics Z-pinch from deuterated polyethylene
- 50 Downloads
On the S-300 installation at currents up to 2 MA with rise time 100 ns, the investigation of the formation process of high-temperature plasma in fast Z-pinch was carried out. The central part of the loads was made from agar-agar and represented a deuterated polyethylene cylinder with small density 50 and 75 mg/sm3 and 1–2 mm diameter. On the ICT images, obtained in optical and soft X-ray range of a spectrum with 3–5 ns exposition, it is visible that on the axis of the polyethylene cylinder at the current`s rise time a cord is formed and it is separated into bright formations. They were observed on a background of a luminous area which occupied the initial neck volume. On time-integrated pinhole pictures obtained in SXR range (E > 1–4 keV), hot points with minimal size of 50 microns were registered. From the chronograms results, obtained by means of the optical high-speed-streak camera mount along the neck axis with time resolution < 1 ns, it follows that luminous formations arise sequentially during the different time moments (in 10–30 ns). Occurrence of luminous formations was accompanied by X-ray radiation occurrence with energy E > 1 keV with short duration of 2–4 ns. Simultaneously with X-ray radiation neutrons with the maximal yield of 4.5×109 were registered. The average energy measured in 4 directions under angles with an axis of: 0○ (above the anode), 90○, 180○ (under the cathode) and 270○, were accordingly: 2.4±0.2, 2.5±0.1, 2.5±0.1, 2.5±0.1 MeV.
PACS52.58.Lq Z-pinches, plasma focus, and other pinch devices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V.V. Vikhrev, V.V. Ivanov, Dokl. Acad. Nauk SSSR 282, 1105 (1985) Google Scholar
- V.V. Yan`kov, Fiz. Plazmy. 17, 305 (1991) Google Scholar
- V.V. Vikhrev, V.D. Korolev, Plasma Phys. Rep. 33, 1101 (2007) Google Scholar
- J.D. Sethan et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 59, 892 (1987) Google Scholar
- D.W. Scudder, J.S. Shlachter, J.E. Hammel, Int. School Plasma Phys. (Varenna, Italy, 1990), p. 519 Google Scholar
- J.L. Bakshaev et al., Plasma Phys. Rep. 27, 1101 (2001) Google Scholar
- J.L. Merkulev et al., pre-print of P.N. Physical Institute, Russian Academy of Science, 44 (2005) Google Scholar
- A.S. Chernenko et al., Proc. 11th Int. Conf. On High Power Particle Beam, Prague 1, 154 (1996) Google Scholar
- O.N. Krokhin, V.V. Nikulin, I.V. Volobuev, Czech J. Phys. 54, 359 (2004) Google Scholar