Non-equilibrium electron and phonon dynamics in metals under femtosecond laser pulses
Different models for relaxation dynamics of electrons and phonons in a thin metal film heated by femto-pico second laser pulses have been discussed. The traditional two-temperature approach reveals to be inaccurate due to deviations of electrons and phonons from Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein distributions, respectively. Coupled Boltzmann kinetic equations have been adapted for the quantum statistics to study the energy distribution of electrons and phonons in metals. Theoretical details have been discussed and a new solution method has been proposed overcoming numerical problems and improving stability, allowing the study of the dynamics until the complete relaxation. Numerical results have been compared with photoemission spectroscopy experimental data.
PACS.47.70.Nd Nonequilibrium gas dynamics 52.38.Mf Laser ablation 07.05.Tp Computer modeling and simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S.I. Anisimov, A.M. Bonch-Bruevich, M.A. El'yashevich, Ya. A. Imas, N.A. Pavlenko, G.R. Romanov, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 36, 1273 (1966) [Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys. 11, 945 (1967)] Google Scholar
- M. Wolf, M. Aeschlimann, Phys. B1 54, 145 (1998) Google Scholar
- N.W. Ashcroft, N.D. Mermin, Solid State Physics (Holt Saunders International Editions, 1976) Google Scholar
- D. Pines, Elementary excitations in solids (W.A. Benjamin Inc., New York, 1963) Google Scholar
- D. Pines, P. Nozières, W.A. Benjamin Inc., New York (1966) Google Scholar
- D.W. Snoke, W.W. Ruhle, Y.C. Lu, E. Bauser, Phys. B 45, 10979 (1992) Google Scholar
- J.M.Ziman, Electrons and phonons (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1960) Google Scholar
- G. Colonna, Suppl. Rend. Circ. Mat. Palermo II 57, 159 (1998) Google Scholar