Determination of the Origin of 19-Norandrosterone in Urine by Gas Chromatography–Isotope-Ratio Mass Spectrometry for Doping Control
The most difficult task in antidoping control is the identification of compounds whose origin can be either endogenous or exogenous. This paper presents a procedure for determining the origin of 19-norandrosterone based on the extraction of target components from urine, their multistage purification by semipreparative HPLC, acetylation, and quantification by gas chromatography–isotope-ratio mass spectrometry and gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Effects of isotope fractionation were not observed in sample preparation. The degree of extraction of the target analytes was 80 ± 5%.
Keywordsdoping anabolic steroids 19-norandrosterone gas chromatography–combustion–isotope-ratio mass spectrometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Galimov, E.M., Sevast’yanov, V.S., Kul’bachevskaya, E.V., and Golyavin, A.A., Mass-Spektrom., 2004, vol. 1, no. 1, p.31.Google Scholar
- 7.WADA Technical Document for Endogenous Anabolic Androgenic Steroids, TD2004EAAS, Montreal: World Anti-Doping Agency, 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.WADA Technical Document for the Detection of Synthetic Forms of Endogenous Anabolic Androgenic Steroids by GC–C–IRMS, TD2016IRMS, Montreal: World Anti-Doping Agency, 2016.Google Scholar
- 9.Schanzer, W., Clin. Chem., 1996, vol. 42, p. 1001.Google Scholar
- 10.Engel, L.L. and Wheeler, M., J. Biol. Chem., 1958, vol. 231, p.159.Google Scholar
- 15.Mareck-Engelke, U. and Schultze, G., Recent Adv. Doping Anal., 2000, vol. 8, p.145.Google Scholar
- 16.Hemmersbach, P., Hagensen, A.H., and Misund, J., Recent Adv. Doping Anal., 2000, vol. 8, p.141.Google Scholar
- 17.WADA Technical Document for the Harmonization of Analysis and Reporting of 19-Norsteroids Related to Nandrolone, TD2016NA, Montreal: World Anti-Doping Agency, 2016.Google Scholar
- 19.Piper, T., Buisson, C., and de la Torre, X., GC–C–IRMS Technical Note, Montreal: World Anti-Doping Agency, 2016.Google Scholar