Numerical solution of fractional order differential equations by extrapolation
- 961 Downloads
We present an extrapolation type algorithm for the numerical solution of fractional order differential equations. It is based on the new result that the sequence of approximate solutions of these equations, computed by means of a recently published algorithm by Diethelm , possesses an asymptotic expansion with respect to the stepsize. From this we conclude that the application of extrapolation is justified, and we obtain a very efficient differential equation solver with practically no additional numerical costs. This is also illustrated by a number of numerical examples.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Brass, Quadraturverfahren (Vandenhoeck andRuprecht, Göttingen, 1977).Google Scholar
- C. Brezinski and M. Redivo-Zaglia, Extrapolation Methods, Theory and Practice (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1992).Google Scholar
- H. Brunner and P.J. van derHouwen, The Numerical Solution of Volterra Equations (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1986).Google Scholar
- W.B. Gragg, Repeated extrapolation to the limit in the numerical solution of ordinary differential equations, Thesis, University of California, Los Angeles (1964).Google Scholar
- E. Hairer, S.P. Nørsett and G. Wanner, Solving Ordinary Differential Equations I: Nonstiff Problems (Springer, Berlin, 1987).Google Scholar
- L. Lapidus and J.H. Seinfeld, Numerical Solution ofOrdinary Differential Equations (Academic Press, New York, 1971).Google Scholar
- P. Linz, Analytical and Numerical Methods for Volterra Equations(SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1985).Google Scholar
- J.N. Lyness, Finite-part integration and the Euler-MacLaurin expansion,in: Approximation and Computation, ed. R.V.M. Zahar, Internat. Ser. Numer. Math. 119 (Birkhäuser, Basel, 1994) pp. 397–407.Google Scholar
- G. Meinardus and G. Merz, Praktische Mathematik II (Bibl. Institut, Mannheim, 1982).Google Scholar
- K.B. Oldham and J. Spanier, The FractionalCalculus (Academic Press, New York, 1974).Google Scholar
- G. Walz,Asymptotics and Extrapolation (Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 1996).Google Scholar