The Frequency of PTSD and Subthreshold PTSD among African–American Women with Depressive Symptoms in a Disadvantaged Urban Neighborhood: Pilot Study
Racial/ethnic minority women in a disadvantaged urban neighborhood may experience a high rate of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression. This brief report examined the frequency of a PTSD diagnosis and subthreshold PTSD among 72 female participants with depressive symptoms in a mindfulness-based intervention for depression at an urban federally qualified health center (FQHC). The MINI International Neuropsychiatric Interview was used to assess PTSD diagnosis or subthreshold PTSD, and the Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology–Self-Report (IDS-SR) was used to assess depressive symptoms. We conducted a descriptive analysis of trauma experiences and explored the neighborhood context of the participants. Fifty-one percent of women self-reported that they experienced a traumatic event. Twenty-nine percent of women met PTSD diagnosis and 7% had subthreshold PTSD; women with a PTSD diagnosis or subthreshold PTSD had significantly worse depressive symptoms. Commonly reported traumas included witnessing a murder, experiencing abuse, and domestic violence. This brief report highlights the high frequency of PTSD diagnosis and subthreshold PTSD among underserved women with depressive symptoms. This may be associated with trauma events linked to residing in a disadvantaged neighborhood.
KeywordsPTSD Depression Underserved Disadvantaged urban neighborhood African–American women
- 8.PTSD: National Center for PTSD, in Women, Trauma, and PTSD. 2015;U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.Google Scholar
- 10.Powers A et al. Associations between childhood abuse, posttraumatic stress disorder, and implicit emotion regulation deficits: evidence from a low-income. Inner-City Population Psychiatry. 2015;78(3):251–64.Google Scholar
- 18.Association, A.P Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-IV-TR). 4 ed. 2000, Washington DC.Google Scholar
- 19.Race and Ethnicity by Neighborhood in Chicago. 2016 [cited 2016; Available from: http://statisticalatlas.com/neighborhood/Illinois/Chicago/Uptown/Race-and-Ethnicity.
- 20.Oakland neighborhood in Chicago, Illinois (IL), 60653 detailed profile 2016 [cited 2016 0209]; Available from: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Oakland-Chicago-IL.html.
- 21.Crime in Chicago. CRIME TRENDS IN OAKLAND 2016 [cited 2016; Available from: http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/oakland.