Lonoctocog Alfa: A Review in Haemophilia A
- 585 Downloads
Lonoctocog alfa (rVIII-SingleChain; Afstyla®) is a novel single-chain recombinant factor VIII (FVIII) molecule, with a truncated B-domain and the heavy and light chains covalently linked to form a stable and homogenous drug that binds with high affinity to von Willebrand factor (VWF). Intravenous lonoctocog alfa is approved for the prophylaxis and treatment of bleeding in patients with haemophilia A in several countries worldwide. In two pivotal, multicentre trials, lonoctocog alfa was effective in the treatment of bleeding episodes and as prophylaxis, including for perioperative management in adults, adolescents and children. In terms of haemostatic efficacy in controlling bleeding episodes, overall treatment and investigator-assessed success rates were high across all age groups, with the majority of these bleeds controlled with a single injection of lonoctocog alfa. Low median spontaneous, overall and traumatic annualized bleeding rates were evident with prophylactic lonoctocog alfa regimens in both trials. Lonoctocog alfa was generally well-tolerated, with very low rates of injection-site reactions. No previously treated patient experienced an anaphylactic reaction or developed an inhibitor. In conclusion, lonoctocog alfa is an effective and generally well-tolerated alternative to conventional FVIII products for the treatment and prophylaxis of bleeding, including in the surgical setting, in adults, adolescents and children with haemophilia A.
During the peer review process, the manufacturer of lonoctocog alfa was also offered an opportunity to review this article. Changes resulting from comments received were made on the basis of scientific and editorial merit.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding.
Conflict of interest
Zaina T. Al-Salama and Lesley J. Scott are salaried employees of Adis/Springer, are responsible for the article content and declare no relevant conflicts of interest.
Additional information about this Adis Drug Review can be found at http://www.medengine.com/Redeem/CBD8F060224F2E65.
- 12.CSL Behring GmbH. Afstyla® [antihemophilic factor (recombinant), single chain for intravenous injection, powder and solvent for injection]: US prescribing information. 2016. http://labeling.cslbehring.com. Accessed 4 Sept 2017.
- 13.CSL Behring GmbH. Afstyla® (lonoctocog alfa): EU summary of product characteristics. 2016. https://ec.europa.eu/. Accessed 04 Sept 2017.
- 14.US FDA. BLA Clinical review memorandum. 2015. https://www.fda.gov/. Accessed 4 Sept 2017.
- 15.US FDA. Clinical pharmacology BLA review. 2015. http://www.fda.gov/. Accessed 4 Sept 2017.
- 16.European Medicines Agency. Afstyla (lonoctocog alfa): EU assessment report. 2016. http://www.ema.europa.eu/. Accessed 4 Sept 2017.
- 22.Veldman A, Feussner A, Kalina U, et al. rVIII-SingleChain plasma activity can be measured using both the one-stage and the chromogenic substrate assay: results from an international field study [abstract plus poster]. In: 61st annual meeting of the society of thrombosis and hemostasis Research. 2017.Google Scholar