Study of direct soldering of Al2O3 ceramics and Cu substrate by use of Bi11Ag2La solder
- 114 Downloads
The work is devoted to the study of direct soldering of a substrate of Al2O3 ceramics with a Cu substrate by use of Bi11Ag2La solder. Soldering was realised by fluxless method in air by activation with power ultrasound. It was found out that lanthanum is during the ultrasonic soldering process distributed to the interface with Al2O3 substrate, enhancing thus the bond formation. The bond with ceramic substrate has adhesive character without formation of a new contact interlayer. The shear strength of joint with Al2O3 ceramics is 20 MPa.
KeywordsUltrasonic soldering Bi-based solder Lanthanum Al2O3 ceramics
The authors thank Ing. Marián Drienovský, PhD. for DSC analysis, Ing. Martin Sahul, PhD. for EDX analysis, RNDr. Petr Harcuba for microscopic analysis and then to Prof. Ing. Maroš Martinkovič, PhD. for providing the methodics for shear test measurement.
The contribution was prepared with the support of APVV–0023–12 project: Research of new soldering alloys for fluxless soldering with application of beam technologies and ultrasound and VEGA 1/0089/17 project: Research of new alloys for direct soldering of metallic and ceramic materials.
- 3.Kroupa, A., Andersson, D., Hoo, N. et al. Current problems and possible solutions in high-temperature lead-free soldering. In J Mater Eng Perform, Vol. 21, is. 5, 2012, pp. 629–637Google Scholar
- 4.Watson J, Castro G (2012) High-temperature electronics pose design and reliability challenges. Analog Dialogue 46-04:1–7Google Scholar
- 7.Gayle FW, Becka G, Badgett J et al. (2001) High temperature lead-free solder for microelectronics. JOM 17–21Google Scholar
- 8.Koleňák R, Hlavatý I (2009, arcitle No. 1727) Lead-free solders intended for higher temperatures. Trans VŠB – Tech Univ Ostrava, Mech Ser LV(3):113–117Google Scholar
- 14.Chachula M, Koleňák R, Augustín R, Koleňáková M (2011) Wettability of Bi11Ag solder during flux application. Metal, BrnoGoogle Scholar
- 16.Yamada Y, Takaku Y, Yagi Y et al (2006) Novel Bi-based high-temperature solder for mounting power semiconductor devices. R&D Rev Toyota CRDL, Research Report 41(2):43–48Google Scholar
- 22.Koleňák R, Martinkovič M, Koleňáková M (2013) Shear strength and DSC analysis of high-temperature solders. Arch Metall Mater 58(2):529–533Google Scholar